Thread: Shop addition almost finished

Shop addition almost finished

It's been a long hot summer building this addition on to my shop. I started working on this back in May cutting down a big oak next to my shop and then digging the footings. I had it framed up by the end of July and just finished the exterior last week. I moved inside this weekend and started installing rigid insulation in the rafter bays. With eight foot side walls I want as much head space as possible so there will be no ceiling. I moved the rafter ties up to give about 10' of effective height. I've done all the work myself except for the seamless gutter installation. Soaked many sets of clothes with sweat working on this but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    How cool is that? Congrats. I am green ;-)

P.s. I can't believe 64 people viewed this thing since yesterday and not one of them had a thing to say. The Creek has sure picked up a massive lookee-loo population.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice! I am green too...at least a little. The rest of me is red. Wooo, Pig!

Julian, great looking. What will be the final size. Look forward to the inside tour.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Guys thanks for the comments & views. The addition size is 16'x20' with a 10'x20' open shed along the west side. Yesterday my wife walked inside the addition for the first time since the exterior was finished. She commented what a nice space it would make for her sewing projects. I told her that's fine if she doesn't mind sewing in 1/2" of sawdust!
    Malcolm, I saw on the news the Hogs are rated #18 pre season. I hope that's not being over optimistic but we're certainly looking for a breakout season this year.

Julian, it's coming along for sure! It looks to have the makings of a very suitable shop/studio once all the insides are finished. It looks like you'll get lots of natural sunlight through the windows, but do you have any particular plans for overhead lighting that won't take up too much of the headspace you're trying to keep?

Yes, I'm planning to install (8) T-8 fixtures total, four down each side between the raised ceiling joists. The fixtures are 4 bulb units x 4' length. I'm trying to keep everything above the ceiling joints that I can.

That's a beautiful addition, it looks seamless!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    The addition size is 16'x20' with a 10'x20' open shed along the west side.
    julian, I believe that will be a very nice size shop, once you appropriate your wife's sewing room for design and layout. It looks great !

Blog Entries
    You're going to have a great shop.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Love it. Love that you have a good bit of natural light.

Thats very nice.

you must be very excited. I know if i could expand on my shops square footage i would be.

Looks Great!