Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oatmeal bowl designs?

oatmeal bowl designs?

A relative asked if I could make her some oatmeal sets (single serve bowl plus spoon) for eating breakfast oatmeal in the cooler months. She mentioned the UK sorts of traditions for such treen she learned of from her mom. Anyway, I've begun trying to make some - to try out designs. I'm aware of Robin Wood's work and may try some like his. I wanted to invite anyone here who has a good design - bowl or spoon - to post a picture so I might explore options I'm not even thinking of or can take advantage of refinements that have been developed through experience and actual use of such treen.

Efforts so far (all maple):

Thanks!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Sorry, no pix.

Beautiful bowls. Missed yr posts recently. How do you line up the grain like that on the spoons?

If we're voting, I'm partial to the 'calabashesque' design of the lower right bowl. I find that a small partial return has better ergonomics. It just feels good in the hand as you lift the bowl up to the mouth to spoon those last, milky bites. It allows cradling of the hand higher up on the side of the bowl, instead of requiring the user to palm it underneath or hold it by thumb and forefinger on the rim.

Those rims sure are pretty, though.

You always get nice wood.

Thank you, Prashun. You are kind.

As far as the grain on the spoon, I just look at the end grain on the block I'm cutting the blank from and orient it in a flatsawn manner. I typically split out blocks, bandsaw a rough spoon shape, and then whittle, rasp and sand.

Thansk for the input and thoughts.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Sean, I like the top two. The spoons are really nice. I just finished a spoon carving class last Sat. Spoons are fun. I usually keep a spoon in progress for when I take a break from shopworn.
    Joe

I'm with Prashun, I've missed your posts, prefer the calabash (for the same reasons) although the other designs allow you to hold the warm bowl by the edge with less temperature issues. Love the spoons, and have yet to try making any on them.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

visually, I like what appears to be a rolled rim of the upper 2 bowls - but Prashun is correct. Functionally, the right-side bowl with the slight return will be easier to eat out of.

Yes the rims on those two are "rolled." Thanks, all.

I suppose if they're eating rolled oats, this is more appropriate. If they prefer steel cut, then a 'sharper' rim may be in order...? Anyone?

Too funny. Let's assume steel cut - i.e., thicker oatmeal, not porridge or gruel.

I'm curious what you finish these in.
    The couple spoons I've made end up rough with prolonged water exposure. I've tried oil, oil/varnish, and just burnishing. Nothing stymies the grain raising for more than a couple uses.

I use walnut oil and beeswax on the lathe. But I do find that use and washing inevitably dull wood, so I renew the finish when needed with stuff like Claphams or similar (only takes a minute with a paper towel).

I like them all, but my favorite bowl and spoon is the one on the top right.

Thanks, Daryl. Interestingly, I agree that that is the prettiest spoon, but the larger one is better to eat from because of how I shaped its rim (not apparent in the picture) and the handle is nicer to hold as is the sort of handle to "spoon bowl" relationship ( the "spoon bowl" on the pretty one is sort of low compared to the curving handle such that when taking a bite you have to lift is a bit more in a sort of less natural spoon to mouth motion. Little things ....

Maybe in ten more iterations?

A question. I cook my oatmeal (not instant) in the microwave. I assume that's not possible with the wooden bowls without a bit of charcoal flavoring in the oats.

Likewise, I vote for the bowl on the right for eating out of. But they all look nice.

More like this. http://joyofbaking.com/breakfast/OatmealPorridge.html
    Bowls for serving.