Thread: Miltex Chisels

Miltex Chisels

I am familiar with Miltex with regards to high quality surgical instruments but can find nothing about their woodworking tools, specifically chisels. Anyone have any experience/knowledge about these?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vaughan View Post
    I am familiar with Miltex with regards to high quality surgical instruments but can find nothing about their woodworking tools, specifically chisels. Anyone have any experience/knowledge about these?
    Pictures always help. Especially if they made chisels for others or others made chisels for them.

Are they an American company?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here is a picture. They are surgical instruments.

alexander-chisel-7-178-cm-10-mm-width-19-756-miltex.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    Here is a picture. They are surgical instruments.

alexander-chisel-7-178-cm-10-mm-width-19-756-miltex.jpg
    I know some folks like to convert medical instruments into tools for other endeavors. Met a European auto repair mechanic who had an extensive collection of wrenches used to adjust implanted spinal braces/straighteners. One of his customers was a chiropractic surgeon who had a Porsche. He would give him the tools at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

These are not converted medical instruments. They are a German company. Here's a picture of the set I'm looking at
    image.jpg

Blog Entries
    My 2 cents:

they look old, so chances are it's good steel. based on the one chisel facing sideward it looks like the side land are pretty wide, so I personally would want a finer chisel for joinery work, but for general purpose work they look nice.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 08-25-2015 at 1:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Maybe some of our European members can shed more light on these.

jtk

I have found that surgical chisels are made of very soft stainless steel. Surgeons actually like these chisels to develop rough cutting edges as it promotes bone healing to have rough cuts.

I have a surgical chisel and it is quite soft.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-26-2015 at 8:18 AM.

It looks like manufacturing surgical tools in more profitable than wood tools.

Yes, surgical instruments can be VERY expensive, especially Miltex. We can not really compare osteotomes to wood working chisles, they are two different animals, two different purposes and made to two different standards. Osteotomes do not need to be razor sharp/hold an edge to do their job and we really do not want anything razor sharp near soft tissue structures like blood vessles, nerves and muscle. The last thing we want to do is cut something that should not be cut. I recognized the Miltex name for it reputation of high quality surgical instruments but never new they made wood working chisles and was wondering if the reputaion/quality bridged over.