Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleeping disorders?

For those with it, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember someone telling me that it really messes with medications you take as well. Something about the way your body absorbs the medicines and the disruptions that keep happening to your body cause your medications to work differently. I thought they said many people, when treated, ended up reducing their doses of medicine because it worked better when they slept all night.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Larry,

When it is all said and done, you just need to talk to your primary care Physician.
    Larry seems worried about the cost. Depending on your insurance you can just go straight to a sleep doctor without a referral from a primary care doctor. Heck, around there there are several billboards for sleep centers. The first thing the doctor will probably do is order a sleep study. There are some studies done at home, but a sleep study at a clinic is going cost your insurer about $1200 or so. The initial visit, sleep study, and follow up visit will probably cost your insurer $1,700 to $2,000.

I visited my sleep doctor today. I've been through probably 10 different CPAP masks. I paid for a number of them myself and insurance paid for the rest. I simply can't get the CPAP to work for me even though I have been trying.

The doctor recommended the dental device so now I need to contact a dentist to get one made.

I do have sleep disorder, but to my knowledge I do not stop breathing.......just my mind will not shut down. I get up at 6 am for breakfast and medience. it helps if I do some exercise like mow the yard. if I drive say 5 hours I am out like a lite and sleep like a log.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Larry seems worried about the cost. Depending on your insurance you can just go straight to a sleep doctor without a referral from a primary care doctor. Heck, around there there are several billboards for sleep centers. The first thing the doctor will probably do is order a sleep study. There are some studies done at home, but a sleep study at a clinic is going cost your insurer about $1200 or so. The initial visit, sleep study, and follow up visit will probably cost your insurer $1,700 to $2,000.
    You nailed it. Much of that cost would be mine as I am on a new fiscal year and have to pick up the tab to the first $3000. Paying someone $2000 to watch me sleep is just ridiculous! A third of my months income, really? And on top of that I am paying $13,500 a year for insurance for my wife and I.

I wonder if it will someday be possible to 3D print some apparatus for the mouth that will reduce sleep apnea.

There are already dental devices for sleep apnea. That is the next step for me. I found a clinical study for sleep apnea that I would qualify for, but they won't take me because Minneapolis is not a city they have a clinic in. Chicago is the closest.

I think you've gotten some good advice. I'd like to throw in my .02. I think you could go to a pulmonologist sp? and have an in home test done. That will tell you if you have apnea, but won't tell you how severe. The doctor could write you a prescription for a APAP machine. It's similar but different than a CPAP, it automatically sets the pressure needed according to your breathing while asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You nailed it. Much of that cost would be mine as I am on a new fiscal year and have to pick up the tab to the first $3000. Paying someone $2000 to watch me sleep is just ridiculous! A third of my months income, really? And on top of that I am paying $13,500 a year for insurance for my wife and I.
    In my experience if you go through your insurance the suppliers of the equipment will see you as a cash cow. All the suppliers that are "in network" with my insurance charge as much as 300% more than I can buy without using the insurance. I stopped making claims through my insurance years ago. All you need to buy the equipment on your own is your prescription, or a copy of it to send to the supplier. You can buy any machine, as fancy or plain, that you want along with any mask and other equipment needed without your insurance ever knowing.

There are also websites that are like support groups, the posters will share experiences and advice much like we do here with wood working.

I don't think apnea is anything to ignore or discount, it can lead to other serious medical conditions that could easily be avoided, thus improving quality life. I know using a CPAP has changed my life for the better.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

All insurance is different, but my insurer only pays the DME about the same amount for CPAP supplies as I would pay a mail order place. I do have to pay 20% myself. Now, the retail price DMEs charge is outrageous.