Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping disorders?

Blog Entries
    I don't have a sleeping disorder, but I do have a waking disorder.

...but seriously, and I am not being mean here- lose some weight. My wife, who teaches nursing and is in the process of getting her PhD (Pretty hard Degree), harps on this a lot. It does not mean that you are "fat" nescessarily, but I will take myself as an example. If I gain just 5 pounds over my normal weight, I start to snore more and I have similar problems at night- waking up short of breath. If I lose down to my "fighting weight," no issues. One of my fat storage areas appears to be around my neck, and with all those bulging neck muscles there isn't much room for fat. (nyuck, nyuck)

Fortunately you're a dude, so you don't take it personally. I would never give a woman this advice. I would tell her to go see a professional because telling a woman to lose weight is like juggling cats.

I have sleep apnea. I was modestly overweight by 10 to 20 pounds, but even when I lost a lot of weight last fall it didn't help my sleep.

This thread did inspire to make a follow-up appointment with my sleep doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I don't have a sleeping disorder, but I do have a waking disorder.

...but seriously, and I am not being mean here- lose some weight. My wife, who teaches nursing and is in the process of getting her PhD (Pretty hard Degree), harps on this a lot. It does not mean that you are "fat" nescessarily, but I will take myself as an example. If I gain just 5 pounds over my normal weight, I start to snore more and I have similar problems at night- waking up short of breath. If I lose down to my "fighting weight," no issues. One of my fat storage areas appears to be around my neck, and with all those bulging neck muscles there isn't much room for fat. (nyuck, nyuck)

Fortunately you're a dude, so you don't take it personally. I would never give a woman this advice. I would tell her to go see a professional because telling a woman to lose weight is like juggling cats.
    The problem is, losing weight at our ages isn't so easy, and keeping it off is even harder.

I don't disagree with the advice, mind you.

But juggling those cats may (in the long run) be easier.

As I mentioned earlier, sleep apnea is not something one can typically self diagnose. OP mentions waking several times in the night and not sleeping well. Its a big jump to stopping breathing. That diagnosis is done in a sleep center. He may well have other issues. For example, I have tingling in my legs and twitching of leg muscles that wake me up. Thats not sleep apnea. Don't jump to conclusions

These four yes-or-no "STOP" questions can help you determine your risk for sleep apnea:

• S: Do you snore loudly (louder than talking or loud enough to be heard through closed doors)?
    • T: Do you often feel tired, fatigued, or sleepy during the day?
    • O: Has anyone observed you not breathing during sleep?
    • P: Do you have or have you been treated for high blood pressure?

You have a high risk of sleep apnea if you answered "yes" to two or more of these questions. You are strongly encouraged to discuss these results with your medical provider.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-25-2015 at 6:00 PM. Reason: added copntent

Pat, I am not imagining the stopping breathing. Its creepy, and has just been the last little while. I notice it mostly at the point when I am not quite asleep, just nodding off. I wake up feeling like I am drowning and about ready to pass out.

I wasn't really expecting to self diagnose Pat, but there are some fairly intelligent people on this forum and I wanted a sounding board of experiences and knowledge. That's all, a conversation. .

The possibility of a link to my already malfunctioning brain is an interesting thought, scary, but interesting.

Just to add to the discussion: have you ever been tested for allergies? I have not been tested for sleep apnea (yet, I plan to) but I think allergies can cause similar symptoms as apnea. I frequently cannot breathe thru one or both nostrils, especially when laying down. Allergy meds have helped quite a bit, however. But, this leads to frequent sleepy episodes during the day if I don't allow enough "sleep time". Just something else to consider. I am also overweight, unfortunately, which does not help.

I am not a doctor but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, please see a doctor...the people on this forum are no substitute for one. They do not know your specific medical issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm not affiliated with any of this, but I have friends and family using (or have tried to use) CPAP machines with no luck, so this one caught my eye when I saw it posted on some tech website....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ro-cpap#/story

I hope it works, it will change a lot of people's lives.
    This is only going to work for those who don't need a full face mask due to mouth breathing. It also provides no data that a traditional CPAP machine provides. It is a neat device, but I don't think it will revolutionize the treatment of sleep apnea.

I have not found any information about how far along they are with FDA approval. They could be years from FDA approval. I bet some who donated for the free or reduced priced stuff are going to start to get antsy if this takes years to be approved.

Obstructive sleep apnea may lead to hypertension, heart attacks, stroke and diabetes. It is one of the most under diagnosed conditions in America. It is behind many road accidents caused by sleepy drivers.

You may not need a full $leep $tudy. There at home breathing machine devices [tests] that can make the diagnoses without the expense and bother of a full, in-hospital polysomnogram. My suggestion is for you to find a doctor who does sleep medicine most of the time and exercise some control over what is ordered since it is, in fact, your cost.

CPAP machines are quite effective and many of the " I couldn't stand it" responses hail from poorly fitted masks or poorly adapted pressure protocols. Generally you have to work with your doctor and respiratory therapist to get mask & equipment that fits and suits you.

Believe me, I've experienced it all-- from the prescribing to the mask-side of it.

Ruperto Mendiones M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That diagnosis is done in a sleep center.
    I assume that a thorough diagnosis would require being observed at a sleep center. However, there is a "cheap" test given to people who have been prescribed oxygen at night. The same companies that rent oxygen tanks and machines also administer a simple test where the patient wears an oxygen metering and recording device overnight. There are certain standards that the result must meet in order for Medicare to pay for the oxygen. Perhaps if you approach the problem as asking for an oxygen prescription instead of investigating a sleep disorder, you could at least get the cheap test, which might confirm sleep apnea.

I move around quite a bit sleeping and have learned how to position the hose so I can easily do that. But I can't lie on my stomach.

There's a dental appliance too that basically holds your tongue forward. It was out when I got my CPAP but more expensive and my dental insurance said it was a medical thing and my medical insurance said it was a dental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    There's a dental appliance too that basically holds your tongue forward. It was out when I got my CPAP but more expensive and my dental insurance said it was a medical thing and my medical insurance said it was a dental thing.
    Welcome to wonderful world of insurance. I did hear a story recently about a guy in the NE that was diagnosed with sleep apnea and could not handle the mask. His doctor was able to get him a dental appliance and it seemed to work pretty well.

Ironically, I started reading this thread last night about 2 a.m. when I couldn't sleep due to my legs bothering me.

Larry, you did the right thing by posting that.

I don't think anyone here is going to try to supplant the advice by an MD.

Conversely, I don't think anyone posting here is going to take us seriously either-ha ha

Have the study. Be sure to follow up.

Did I say be sure to follow up?

And, if you can't tolerate the mask-follow up; there are other things to do. I do a nasal pillow-piece of cake.

Anyway, untreated OSA is a huge health risk for so many things, its ridiculous.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, sleep apnea is not something one can typically self diagnose. OP mentions waking several times in the night and not sleeping well. Its a big jump to stopping breathing. That diagnosis is done in a sleep center. He may well have other issues. For example, I have tingling in my legs and twitching of leg muscles that wake me up. Thats not sleep apnea. Don't jump to conclusions

These four yes-or-no "STOP" questions can help you determine your risk for sleep apnea:

• S: Do you snore loudly (louder than talking or loud enough to be heard through closed doors)?
    • T: Do you often feel tired, fatigued, or sleepy during the day?
    • O: Has anyone observed you not breathing during sleep?
    • P: Do you have or have you been treated for high blood pressure?

You have a high risk of sleep apnea if you answered "yes" to two or more of these questions. You are strongly encouraged to discuss these results with your medical provider.
    Isn't "O" enough all by itself? I'd think if people tell you that you stop breathing while you're asleep, that you would need to go in right away?

Blog Entries
    Larry,

When it is all said and done, you just need to talk to your primary care Physician.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution