Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What percent of the time does it all come together?

hey WW I got one you didn't through awaywally3.jpgwally3.jpgwally3.jpgwally3.jpgwally3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    ...I do more spindle turning than bowl turning as I love the challenge of hand made repetition (copy) spindle turning. Once you get on a roll it is surprising how easy it is to be "successful." Sure there will be variations but that is the essence of hand made, enough variation to look hand made but not enough to look ghastly....
    A very good point. I also do a lot of spindle turning, much of it repetitive since many of the pieces are intended as material for assemblies or structures made up of multiple spindles. In such cases, it is the overall impact which is fundamental. Minor variation is inherent in repetitive hand turning. As long as critical points are properly located and sized, much of the actual turning can be done quite uniformly by eye without further measurement after some experience. When a number of spindles are combined, what minor variations there may be are essentially obscured by the visual effect of the overall assemblage. Indeed, minor variations among component pieces add a bit of vitality to what could be rather sterile if all elements / components were truly identical. While aspects of some individual elements may not be ‘quite right’ – e.g., a not quite spherical bead – the final assemblage must be judged on its overall impact.