Thread: Help with Outdoor Chair Plans

Help with Outdoor Chair Plans

Hey all,
    I was hoping someone here might point me in the right direction.
    My wife wants some new patio furniture, and I’m looking for a new project, so win win. I’ve built some nice adirondack chairs in the past, but now she’d like me to build a cushioned sofa and chair set, like the stuff you’d see in the frontage catalog.

Example
    Typically I like to find plans for a similar piece then put my own spin on the project, but in this case I can’t find plans anywhere for these type of chairs. I feel like I could design some from trial and error with scrap wood if I had to, but I’d much rather find a place to start from.
    Has anyone here ever ran across plans for a similar outdoor lounge chair?
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    That would be an easy plan to make in Sketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    That would be an easy plan to make in Sketchup.
    Indeed, it would.

The problem I find with taking on a new project is knowing dimensions. For chairs like this, how high off the ground should the seat be? What angle should the seat be pitched? How high should the armrests be? And on and on.

I was considering the same kind of project but the dimension questions and Where do you go for custom cushions? made me think buying the furniture was the better choice. Of course, buying furniture that's the same quality of that you'd make means paying a lot more than what you'd be paying for big box store quality.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

It would be easy enough to go to a store and measure similar furniture. This would get you pretty close for designing your own. Or you could probably find similar furniture with dimensions--at least a few dimensions--online. I'd start by roughing out the shapes to get the dimensions correct and then I would refine the drawing and add details.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 08-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The problem I find with taking on a new project is knowing dimensions. For chairs like this, how high off the ground should the seat be? What angle should the seat be pitched? How high should the armrests be? And on and on.

I was considering the same kind of project but the dimension questions and Where do you go for custom cushions? made me think buying the furniture was the better choice. Of course, buying furniture that's the same quality of that you'd make means paying a lot more than what you'd be paying for big box store quality.
    The link below shows some common dimensions for arm chairs. Look around, you probably will find more resources. You could go to a store and take some measurements.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...table-seating/

As for the cushions, I have a local upholstery guy that will make the cushions for me, complete with piping. I supply the leather I want, but sheet vinyl from a fabric shop will do also.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-30-2015 at 6:23 AM.

If you go to either of the big box stores, they may still (if they don't already have their Christmas decor displays set up) have lawn furniture that you can take measurements off of. They'll also have standard sized cushions that you can use as a guide for the seating and chair back measurements.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion would be to get the cushions first and adjust your dimensions to fit the cushions. There is no such thing as a standard cushion. I've gone to stores before and taken measurements and have never had a problem with the sales folks. Some have even helped by holding one end of the tape measure. They seem fascinated that someone can actually make things them self.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley has a good selection of patio furniture designs: Adirondacks, Folding Adirondacks/Chairs, rockers, Morris Chairs, benches, tables....They typically supply plans, material lists...You could modify something they have to fit your needs. Plans run 14-$15 and some offer the hardware to make the chair as well. The hardware may be a little pricey but if it saves a trip to the hardware.