Thread: new to me acetylene torch setup

new to me acetylene torch setup

I just picked up a torch set from a garage sale, big tanks, about 4ft tall, acetylene has gas, oxygen is empty so I will need to get it filled, I have wanted a set like this for years. this set jumped into my suburban for 75$

I Have never actually used a set like this so it will be fun learning how it works, any advice appreciated.

I will mainly be using it to bend metal, possibly cutting.

Be sure to clean the cutting tip. There's a little wire guage switch blade tool available at most welding supply places.
    Be sure to get a good eye protector ( goggles work fine ). Don't rely on sun glasses.
    Good leather work gloves with long sleeves are good.
    A leather apron to protect your flesh and jeans is a good idea.
    Practice, practice etc. Braze some thin metal together. That should give you good practice to not blow out metal work or to use too much heat.
    If you can afford it, get a good welding book. They are all about the same IMO but cover good practical advice and tips.

Good luck and enjoy!

ok, thanks do you need tinted goggles? I have most the other stuff from my welder, gloves, leather coat ect

Yes The goggles need tinted lenses. The welder suppier will have several choices. You don't want really dark ones but you do need ones dark enough to protect your vision.

don't forget to get a new flashback arrestor for your acetylene bottle.
    500W Fiber Laser, Tekcel VLS CNC Router, Roland GX-640

Read up on the dangers of acetylene gas. Modern torch systems have many safeties in place, but it doesn't hurt to know how it can go wrong.

Do not torch brake cleaner fluid. Very poisonous gasses can be released.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

There's about a dz things,WRT O/A that will literally blow your chit up.PLEASE...buy a cpl books on the subject.....I had to go through safety training to the umpteenth degree on this.

Things like back check valves on your ox tanks.....How and why your acetylene deserves respect....yada,yada.

Now,once you hopefully see the safety side of the above........google foo Oxweld 7,RG45.

Words simply can't do justice to the world that O/A welding has to offer.But it goes hand/hand with safety.And I just can't express that enough.

Snag some 10-16 g mild steel,a pound or so of RG45......and get to fabricating dust collector hoods that will make your's.....or Bill Pentz eye's bleed.Good clean metal,good clean welds.

Before you light it, it might be a good idea to have the whole thing checked out by a welding supply place. Whenever I've bought used welding equipment, I've always had it checked out before I used it. You need to be sure that the gauges and hoses don't have leaks or other damage.
    Rick

Saftey first...

....ah.... I forgot to say... test/try this outside to keep the house and the people in it safe.
    I agree with Rick...you probably have to go to the welding supply place any way to get brazing rod and dip anyway.

I have small tanks. Big tanks are better.

Propane torch is cheaper to use than acetylene but just a little slower to heat steel up. That said, I like using acetylene for work pieces
    that are less than 6 in wide.

will these goggles work?

http://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-8021...elding+goggles

How can I tell if I have back check valves or not?

do you have any links to a guide etc explaining how to use it safely?

I have a welding helmet from my mig welder that is auto tinting would that be to dark on lighter setting?

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    will these goggles work?

http://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-8021...elding+goggles

How can I tell if I have back check valves or not?

do you have any links to a guide etc explaining how to use it safely?

I have a welding helmet from my mig welder that is auto tinting would that be to dark on lighter setting?
    Cody, those goggles should work ok. I prefer glasses to goggles because on a warm, humid day the goggles tend to fog up.

One key thing to remember about acytelene is do not store or use the bottles while they are laying down. If you have to lay a bottle on it's side for transport reasons, it is a good idea not to use it until it has stood upright for at least 24 hours.

Do you have any welding suppliers near you? They are a good source for supplies such as glasses.

I use a tinted full face shield. Welding suppliers sell them. something like this: http://www.toolpan.com/ATD-Tools-374...23_a_7cATD3746 Get someone that knows how to show you how to light it, and you'll save a bunch of frustration and black smutty smoke.

Something else you might not think about, being new to it, is your feet. You don't want a red hot little chunk of metal down into a shoe, but sometimes you might get one anyway. When welding or cutting, I wear slip-on leather boots that I can flip off easily if needed. I try to keep them inside my pant legs. If your shoes or boots are tightly laced up, there's nothing for the hot chunk to do but keep burning a hole into your flesh.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-06-2015 at 8:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Cody, those goggles should work ok. I prefer glasses to goggles because on a warm, humid day the goggles tend to fog up.

One key thing to remember about acytelene is do not store or use the bottles while they are laying down. If you have to lay a bottle on it's side for transport reasons, it is a good idea not to use it until it has stood upright for at least 24 hours.

Do you have any welding suppliers near you? They are a good source for supplies such as glasses.

Thanks I read that tip about acetylene laying down, It was on its side overnight (I bought it while on vacation, it was in back of my suburban) so I had let it stand upright for about 3 days before I used it.