Thread: Epilog laser losing power. How do I identify the problem?

Epilog laser losing power. How do I identify the problem?

So I've been using an Epilog Radius 25w laser engraver for the last 5 years or so. And about a year or so ago, I've noticed that the power has steadily been declining. Jobs that I used to run at SPEED-100, POWER-70 now have to be ran at SPEED-60, POWER-80 with multiple passes to look decent. My first reaction was to replace the lens as it was nasty. I've done that and I have seen next to no increase in performance.

How do I go about trying to identify and solve the problem in my loss of performance?

Are your mirrors clean? Have you checked alignment? Are you focused correctly?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Gautreau View Post
    So I've been using an Epilog Radius 25w laser engraver for the last 5 years or so. And about a year or so ago, I've noticed that the power has steadily been declining. Jobs that I used to run at SPEED-100, POWER-70 now have to be ran at SPEED-60, POWER-80 with multiple passes to look decent. My first reaction was to replace the lens as it was nasty. I've done that and I have seen next to no increase in performance.

How do I go about trying to identify and solve the problem in my loss of performance?
    If the lens was nasty then definitely check all the mirrors they are probably dirty too, then alignment.

If you are regularly using the laser you should be checking your lens every day, and your side mirror once a month. Backmost mirrors less often but a quick check every now and then doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 08-25-2015 at 7:56 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    If the lens was nasty then definitely check all the mirrors they are probably dirty too, then alignment.

If you are regularly using the laser you should be checking your lens every day, and your side mirror once a month. Backmost mirrors less often but a quick check every now and then doesn't hurt.
    Yep, yep and another yep.

clean lenses and mirrors last AGES - dirty ones get stained very quickly as the dirt is heated up by the laser beam on the surface of the lens / mirror.

you should also be maintaining other parts of your machine regularly, contact Epilog for a basic maintenance requirement for your particular machine.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

An Epilog Radius for the last 5 years? There's the highest probability of the issue. That's a very old machine. The fact you've used it for the last 5 years is a sign to me. That puts the tube at least 5 years old and they typically don't last much longer than that in a normal environment. You'll see posts from people saying they have a 10 year old laser with the original tube, but that's the exception, not the rule. My guess is that your tube is on the way out.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm with Scott on this one. My first tube lasted 7 years but I was only running it part-time for the first 5 years. If it is a gradual loss, that would be my first guess as to the problem. I replaced this one in '07 and it only cost about $1500.00 to make the machine run like new again. These days I only run it about once a month so it should last a long, long time...
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1