Thread: Beech and Walnut Tray

Beech and Walnut Tray

The beech for this is from my back yard. Finished in Waterlox/BLO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice,way to keep it simple but elegant. Good curve and the walnut and dovetail work well.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I'm impressed with the design, the glue up and the dovetails. I'm thinking how I would have gone about cutting the mortise for the dovetail. I know from your other posts that you think these things through and I'm curious about what you came up with. The last photo looks like there is some wood missing at the bottom of the outside curve and I don't understand that, given the otherwise clean lines. I would have been tempted to cut or sand the ends of the legs to remove the shoulder and match the curve of the bowl, but then I wouldn't have come up with the idea in the first place. It's a very nice piece, Prashun.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Blog Entries
    Beautiful accent piece Prashun. Wonderful work and attention to detail as usual.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Confession

I have to confess...

this piece is not turned. I bandsawed the slats using a compass style jig designed by michael fortune. He makes a seat using that technique.

the glued up blank is about 18 inches, which exceeds the capacity of my lathe. So i scribed the circle with a compass and carved it with an angle grinder and smoothed it with a scraper.

The cut out on the front edge is the residual from the live edge.

i cut the dovetails on the router table. I had to use a batten parallel to the fence to allow the tray to ride flat over the bit. i chose a darker wood for the feet because there is a slight gap on the outside shoulders because the tray bottom is convex but the feet tops are flat (which they needed to be in order to cut the jont on the router table)

love this simplicity. well done.

Different and I do like it a lot!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Using the stones for back drop really puts the emphasis on the tray. Nice work, although trays can be turned on the lathe , not so much the dove tail .
    John 3:16

Very nice no matter how it was made.