Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

Jack, that start line is because it's moving when it's cutting. You might have too much heat in it. It's hard to explain, but once you see it happen, it'll make sense. When you put a lot of heat into some materials, they want to really move around. As it gets closer to the end of the cut, it shifts around in the kerf and causes that mismatch. What speed/power did you use to cut through it? I was cutting some acrylic the other day and watched it actually move the material 1/8" when I was cutting it, while the acrylic was moving around as it was cutting. There are techniques to deal with it all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The mark you referred to happens when I'm cutting 1/32" and sometimes 1/16" material. I have been able to remove it by rubbing the edge with denatured alcohol. It doesn't happen often but I am familiar with it. I believe it occurs at the start point but with thin materials the heat will cause them to move.
    By the way, DNA removes the sticky stuff from the edges as well.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-30-2015 at 8:19 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Jack, that start line is because it's moving when it's cutting. You might have too much heat in it. It's hard to explain, but once you see it happen, it'll make sense. When you put a lot of heat into some materials, they want to really move around. As it gets closer to the end of the cut, it shifts around in the kerf and causes that mismatch. What speed/power did you use to cut through it? I was cutting some acrylic the other day and watched it actually move the material 1/8" when I was cutting it, while the acrylic was moving around as it was cutting. There are techniques to deal with it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The mark you referred to happens when I'm cutting 1/32" and sometimes 1/16" material. I have been able to remove it by rubbing the edge with denatured alcohol. It doesn't happen often but I am familiar with it. I believe it occurs at the start point but with thin materials the heat will cause them to move.
    By the way, DNA removes the sticky stuff from the edges as well.
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense. It is a trolase and I was able to get a much cleaner cut by reducing the power. I'll experiment some more and try to find the optimum power speed ratio for cutting that material so it moves as little as possible.

I'm shut down for the night but will post my settings up tmrw for you Scott

I think for a first day it was rather productive
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Looks awesome. Enjoyed following along. Best of luck.

I did these today, anodized / brushed aluminum, came up so well my mate wanted his iphone 5 done with it, very happy with the quality, I specifically chose a very detailed image and scaled it right down, the Trotec did a great job replicating it.

DSC06926.jpgDSC06925.jpgDSC06919.jpg

Close up shot
    20151002_171052.jpg
    Last edited by Jack Clague; 10-02-2015 at 3:15 AM.

You engraved the display screen (3rd picture)???

That's the black back Glen.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yikes I surely hope its the back

That's the black back Glen.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yikes I surely hope its the back
    Since is says "iPhone", where it's made, the CE label, and the apple logo, I think it's a safe bet that it's the back, along with the fact that I think he's smart enough to figure out which side needs to be engraved

yes its the back haha... not missing that many brain cells (yet)

That is a beautiful piece of machinery. I am so damn jealous.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Hi Guys,

I made a light box last night using makercase and opal white acrylic sheets, the finger slots are not a press fit so I will need to bond the pieces together, any suggestions to what I can use?

20151007_231250.jpg

Weld On #16.

Weld On #16.
    Many Thanks Scott, will see who can supply that here in AU, any tips to applying?

It's like model glue, it's runny, but a little thicker than the #3 that most people use. No real tips, just slather it on best you can and try not to get it where you don't want it