Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

Question Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well, I decided to sign up to the site as I have been a lurker for some time and found most of the threads here to be informative and helpful, recently I have decided to take my workshop to a higher level by looking to purchase a laser engraving and cutting machine, I have been researching the last 2-3 months on these machines and trawling over many of the threads here to get a better understanding of the machines, their capabilities, the requirements to run and the downsides or running the machines for both hobby use and business ventures

I live in Australia so these machines are not easy to come by, we do however have a few of the more common and trusted brands available here in AU, Trotec, Epilog, GCC, Gravograph, and a few others but I do not recall the names
    I’m going to be basing my decision on what laser to purchase on the below factors in order of priority:

• After sales service, support and warranty
    • Quality of components
    • Features of machine
    • Price of machine

My Requirements:

I have minimal requirements really, as this will be a joint hobby/side business venture I hope to make use of the machine in as wide a variety of ways, my primary hobby is flying large scale radio control aircraft, I hope to use the machine to not only benefit myself but also create products and parts which I could sell to the local flying community, as with all products the more inventive and unique the better and I have a few ideas up my sleeve in regards to this.
    Material requirements will be limited to the capabilities of a co2 machines, I cannot justify the expense of a fibre or even dual capability machine just yet, maybe in the future this is something I may consider
    Working area, I am looking to keep the working area in the 24x12” range, this seems to be the best starting point if you’re serious about working with a laser engraver, also I would like to work with rotary objects and the smaller size machines do not offer a rotary attachment as a future option

Budget, although limited many years of failures and dud machines has taught me the long term benefit of buy once buy right and buy with confidence, this in mind I will be less concerned about the overall price and more about the longevity and support of the machine, of course I have a limit but with finance options available with most manufactures this can be stretched out and budgeted

Features, key features I would like and what I would use are probably two different things entirely but I’ll list them anyway; *Air Assist; *optimized raster engraving; *relocatable origin; Autofocus; 3D engraving; *Memory Buffer and saveable settings; *colour mapping; Differing / Halftone Conversion; *Metal or Ceramic Tube; *Good quality optics, Red-dot; there are some more features but I think the above is a good base, the ones noted with * are pretty much a requirement instead of a want.

So I guess I should list what I can get hold of here in AU and what I have discerned so far

Lasers that are supported locally to me here and fit or closely fit the above requirements are:

"Trotec;- Speedy range 100, 300
    ceramic tube, great optics, from what I have read very good machines, upgradable to the flex range at a later date to include fibre right into the same machine, similar features compared to other brands, price indicative to the quality"

Epilog;- Zing 16,24 – Mini 18,24,Helix
    Metal Tube, Good optics, very feature packed (allot of what I listed above is standard), Higher watt ratings available and seems to be best value machine in its range for an overseas produced and supported local machine (in AU)

GCC;- Laserpro range
    Supported in AU but not local to me, highest warranty time from all suppliers, I know very little about these machines though

Gravograph;- LS100Ex
    Supported in AU but not local to me, I know very little about these machines though

Well I wrote allot but didn’t really ask anything, I guess I wrote all this down to also help me understand my options better and work from there, my main question is really am I on the right path with the machines I am looking at, are there alternate options I have not considered? Are there features or parts of machines I have not thought about?

Kindest Regards
    Jack
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-02-2015 at 7:42 AM. Reason: edit per OP request

I see the Trotec Speedy on your list. Cannot go wrong with it.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Blog Entries
    I agree with Keith. If you are not concerned with the $$ and want to buy once and buy right....Trotec would be my first choice and Epi the second. Keep in mind I was not in that category though and have a Chinese machine. I am quite happy with it at this point however. If I could of swung it and justified it though I would have done a Trotec, an Epi, or from our Ohio based Rabbit Lasers USA in that order.

Whatever you buy....the best to you!!! And stay with us!! We love to hear how folks are doing with new toys and try to help if we can.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    I agree with Keith. If you are not concerned with the $$ and want to buy once and buy right....Trotec would be my first choice and Epi the second. Keep in mind I was not in that category though and have a Chinese machine. I am quite happy with it at this point however. If I could of swung it and justified it though I would have done a Trotec, an Epi, or from our Ohio based Rabbit Lasers USA in that order.

Whatever you buy....the best to you!!! And stay with us!! We love to hear how folks are doing with new toys and try to help if we can.

Dave
    Thanks Dave and Keith

What are your reasons for choosing Trotec over Epilog?

Blog Entries
    Speed and the fineness of its optics. Also very well built machine. Check with other owners here that have multiple machines. Dan Hintz, Scott Shephard, etc. They can give you comparisons and direct experience. Scott convinced me to buy a Trotec you know. He just failed to give me an account number! <teasing grin for Scott!!!! >
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Speed and the fineness of its optics. Also very well built machine. Check with other owners here that have multiple machines. Dan Hintz, Scott Shephard, etc. They can give you comparisons and direct experience. Scott convinced me to buy a Trotec you know. He just failed to give me an account number! <teasing grin for Scott!!!! >
    Thanks, although I did say $ was not important it is still a factor and I am not sure if my budget will stretch far enough for good Trotec, there machines are a fair chunk more than the Epilogs, and going by the comments i can understand why, I do have a limit and Trotec might breach it

I have contacted my local rep though and will discuss with him on a price for a package or if they have any pre-owned machines available
    Last edited by Jack Clague; 08-26-2015 at 2:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    I hope to make use of the machine in as wide a variety of ways, my primary hobby is flying large scale radio control aircraft
    I went the other way. Smaller scale aircraft (30 inch wing spans) so I can just find a parking lot or field and fly. I love RC flying.
    I use a Chinese machine myself just because it's strictly a hobby for me. Dollar tree foam board, some colored tape and about a day for building.
    It used to take weeks but the laser can cut out the parts faster than I could print out the plans.
    Whatever you choose for a machine I know you will have a blast with it. Life is good.

Gozzie

Image00046.jpg Image00007.jpg H1450007.jpg Image00009.jpg 20131226_134949(1).jpg
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gosnell View Post
    I went the other way. Smaller scale aircraft (30 inch wing spans) so I can just find a parking lot or field and fly. I love RC flying.
    I use a Chinese machine myself just because it's strictly a hobby for me. Dollar tree foam board, some colored tape and about a day for building.
    It used to take weeks but the laser can cut out the parts faster than I could print out the plans.
    Whatever you choose for a machine I know you will have a blast with it. Life is good.

Gozzie

Image00046.jpg Image00007.jpg H1450007.jpg Image00009.jpg 20131226_134949(1).jpg
    Hi Ron,

Nice designs

Just got off with the Trotec dealer and wow, impressed with the level of service from these guys, was a very friendly informative and helpful bloke, he's gonna see what he can do for me and hunt around for a few different options in my budget range, looks like there is a Speedy 300 60W pre-owned available and a demo unit as well for sale so will be getting some quotes on those as options, the biggest part i liked about Trotec was the after sales support, training and warranty options, the level of support far exceeds other companies I have contracted and might by itself be worth the extra initial investment

Will see what they can come up with and certainly keep them in mind if this becomes part of my stable.

Jack,

Actually Trotec prices are comparable to Epilog and the other major laser manufacturers. In fact Members of SawMill Creek have always been offered a considerable discount when purchasing Trotec machines. Possibly your local sales representative is not aware so you should contact the main office in Michigan and ask for the Sales Manager before you make any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jack,

Actually Trotec prices are comparable to Epilog and the other major laser manufacturers. In fact Members of SawMill Creek have always been offered a considerable discount when purchasing Trotec machines. Possibly your local sales representative is not aware so you should contact the main office in Michigan and ask for the Sales Manager before you make any decisions.
    Does the office in MI cover Australia where he lives

Jack,

Thanks for the heads up Kieth, I will ask but I'm not sure AU is covered under any promotion for this site.

Really great looking Ron!

Jack you're right, they do have demo models from time to time might save you a couple thousand if you are willing to wait for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gosnell View Post

Gozzie

Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Keith, I will ask but I'm not sure AU is covered under any promotion for this site.
    Jack,

Its not a promotion type of situation between SawMill Creek and Trotec. The company is a major supporter here and they have been very generous towards our Members who purchase their machines. Call the office in Michigan and ask for the Sales Manager or the VP of Sales and tell them you are a Member of SawMill Creek and would like to inquire about the discount they have been providing to our Community. After your conversation they will contact your local Trotec office on your behalf and let them know about our relationship, at that point you should receive a discount towards the machine you are interested in purchasing.

Good Luck!

Jack,

Its not a promotion type of situation between SawMill Creek and Trotec. The company is a major supporter here and they have been very generous towards our Members who purchase their machines. Call the office in Michigan and ask for the Sales Manager or the VP of Sales and tell them you are a Member of SawMill Creek and would like to inquire about the discount they have been providing to our Community. After your conversation they will contact your local Trotec office on your behalf and let them know about our relationship, at that point you should receive a discount towards the machine you are interested in purchasing.

Good Luck!

Many thanks Keith,

I will certainly do that

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Really great looking Ron!

Jack you're right, they do have demo models from time to time might save you a couple thousand if you are willing to wait for one.
    Yer the Rep was awesome to deal with, Will still take the call from Epilog's dealer and see what they can offer as well but Trotec is top of the cards currently