Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

I have a question in regards to extraction and fumes, the Trotec Rep in AU advised that guys like myself who will be using the machine at the start for only a few hours a weekend can use a system like a Carbatec Dust Extractor to save some $ with the initial investment, obviously they did market to me their fully integrated system but at $5k odd its a fair expense to start with, I tried a small search on the subject and there are some DIY options, I don't mind spending upto a 1k on the extraction system so if there is an alternative that might be available here please shout away.

Blog Entries
    Jack. Is you shop somplace that requires filtration? If you live away from others you could just vent outside?

Dan Hintz had posted on a home made filter. I think he put it in his SMC blog for easy access. The thread is worth looking at though. And there have been other discussions since.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Jack. Is you shop somplace that requires filtration? If you live away from others you could just vent outside?

Dan Hintz had posted on a home made filter. I think he put it in his SMC blog for easy access. The thread is worth looking at though. And there have been other discussions since.

Hi David,

My workshop is my home garage (small double car) and I live in a suburb so my house is about 3m from the next, probably not good to vent outside as they have windows facing my garage and will probably get hit with smells and particulate, so for me its either fully internal filtration or part internal part external, I have a band-saw which I use one of these with (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W885#) and it works great, but i doubt that will suffice for a laser machine, I saw Dan's blog post on that, will look around for the parts here in AU but I have a feeling that getting together those materials here will cost close to the same as maybe getting a good pre-made unit

Another option and I will find out the cost but the Epilog dealer here also sells Bofa (http://www.alfexcnc.com.au/products/...xtraction.html) so I could contact them about those units and see what they retail for as an alternate

Hi Jack,
    Could you tell us where in Oz your located and what you will be cutting?

Cheers
    Kim
    CM1290 130w
    GWeike 150w
    Co2 Galvo 30w

Quote Originally Posted by Kim McIntosh View Post
    Hi Jack,
    Could you tell us where in Oz your located and what you will be cutting?

Cheers
    Kim
    Hi Kim, I am located in Melbourne and I do not have a set material I will be working with, I am looking to work with all of the below

Cutting:
    Acrylic, G10 & other suitable plastics
    Ply, Balsa, MDF
    Paper, Card, Monocote
    Fiberglass

Engraving:
    Anodized metals
    Wood
    Plastic
    Glass
    Leather

Purchase an inexpensive dust collector.
    Throw away the bags and filters.
    Run the DC outlet pipe directly to a dryer vent that you install in the wall.

The smell from cutting acrylic will dissipate quickly and its unlikely your neighbors will know the difference. The exception to this rule is rubber.

I ran the Laser Engraver at Christopher Newport University with this setup on the edge of campus in a house that had very close neighbors on both sides and a walking path for students just 15 feet from the laser exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Purchase an inexpensive dust collector.
    Throw away the bags and filters.
    Run the DC outlet pipe directly to a dryer vent that you install in the wall.

The smell from cutting acrylic will dissipate quickly and its unlikely your neighbors will know the difference. The exception to this rule is rubber.

I ran the Laser Engraver at Christopher Newport University with this setup on the edge of campus in a house that had very close neighbors on both sides and a walking path for students just 15 feet from the laser exhaust.

Are you sure the students didn't think you were cooking drugs in there.

Jack,

First I want to say wow! Not enough newbies have done the type of research you obviously have done. Good work!

I'm obviously a big fan of Epilog & the Mini is a real beast that will work day in & day out. I don't know much about the Zing, but would guess it has the same quality. My Mini is 9 years old and was still running on the original tube up until a couple months ago when I bought the Fusion M2. Now my Mini is used more as a workbench. It would still run if I need it, but I'll probably refurbish it and find a new home for it likely after the 1st of next year.

I should add that it never hurts to push a laser dealer on price by dropping hints of any other quotes you have.

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-27-2015 at 6:24 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Jack,
    I have a friend who lives in Sydney, neighbors close on both sides, and he vents straight outside to a PVC chimney. He hasn't had a complaint in four years. I live rural so neighbors aren't an issue but I added a chimney as well just to get the smoke up a bit higher. As Keith said, buy yourself a dust extractor, Gasweld recently had a 1HP for $99, and use that. I did away with the Chinese 3/4HP that came with my machine and switched to the 1HP (still Chinese) much quieter plus better extraction.

Kim
    CM1290 130w
    GWeike 150w
    Co2 Galvo 30w

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Jack,

First I want to say wow! Not enough newbies have done the type of research you obviously have done. Good work!

I'm obviously a big fan of Epilog & the Mini is a real beast that will work day in & day out. I don't know much about the Zing, but would guess it has the same quality. My Mini is 9 years old and was still running on the original tube up until a couple months ago when I bought the Fusion M2. Now my Mini is used more as a workbench. It would still run if I need it, but I'll probably refurbish it and find a new home for it likely after the 1st of next year.

I should add that it never hurts to push a laser dealer on price by dropping hints of any other quotes you have.

Good luck to you.
    Thanks Tim, I'm treating this like a car purchase, heck it will probably end up costing more that my car so not doing the research is only gonna hurt me in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Kim McIntosh View Post
    Jack,
    I have a friend who lives in Sydney, neighbors close on both sides, and he vents straight outside to a PVC chimney. He hasn't had a complaint in four years. I live rural so neighbors aren't an issue but I added a chimney as well just to get the smoke up a bit higher. As Keith said, buy yourself a dust extractor, Gasweld recently had a 1HP for $99, and use that. I did away with the Chinese 3/4HP that came with my machine and switched to the 1HP (still Chinese) much quieter plus better extraction.

Kim
    Thanks for the info Kim, I might not be able to do a Chimney as I live in a single story and my neighbor lives in a double with windows inline with my garage, I'm thinking of taking Keith's advise and getting a dryer vent and placing it at ground level at the back door of the garage, hopefully by the time any of the smoke or fumes reaches the neighbors 2nd level height it would have dissipated, I'll get at-least 1hp, maybe more thinking this one (https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-con...4kg-44-41-42cm)

Small update, Just got off the line with my Epilog dealer and i'm just as pleased with the result of the call as Trotec so its in the air at the moment, this is how I view it so far:

Trotec:
    High Quality Machine
    Sold by Trotec AU instead of a dealer (could also be a downside due to number of clients etc, no office hours for walk in support or quick part pickup)
    Good Buy Back Policy (75% in 1st year)
    Great Support after sale
    Machine comes with probably 80% of what I want so investment is required for the other 20%
    Offers some benefits for AU work via a specific website and material discounts (limited)
    Pricing is yet to be determined (awaiting quotes)
    Not located close to my home

Epilog
    Great Quality Machine (probably more than capable for what I want)
    Sold by a dealer and not MFG
    Dealer also sells a wide variety of laser materials and laser support equipment, offers good discounts for machine owners, after sales support so far seems as good as Trotec
    Machine comes with around 90% of the features I want which reduces some of the initial investment
    Good Buy Back Policy (to be confirmed, they confirm to Epilog US policy so I presume it will be equivalent to Trotec)
    Now this is a biggy and might be the deciding factor after quotes come through: Located only 10min from my day Job and 25min from home (Easy access for materials each day, same day orders available and can pickup)
    Pricing yet to be determined (awaiting quotes)

So that it so far, Once the quotes are in I can start getting together some 5 year P & L spreadsheets so I can see what I will be in for in worse case scenarios

Small update, Just got off the line with my Epilog dealer and i'm just as pleased with the result of the call as Trotec so its in the air at the moment, this is how I view it so far:

Trotec:
    High Quality Machine
    Sold by Trotec AU instead of a dealer (could also be a downside due to number of clients etc, no office hours for walk in support or quick part pickup)
    Good Buy Back Policy (75% in 1st year)
    Great Support after sale
    Machine comes with probably 80% of what I want so investment is required for the other 20%
    Offers some benefits for AU work via a specific website and material discounts (limited)
    Pricing is yet to be determined (awaiting quotes)
    Not located close to my home

Epilog
    Great Quality Machine (probably more than capable for what I want)
    Sold by a dealer and not MFG
    Dealer also sells a wide variety of laser materials and laser support equipment, offers good discounts for machine owners, after sales support so far seems as good as Trotec
    Machine comes with around 90% of the features I want which reduces some of the initial investment
    Good Buy Back Policy (to be confirmed, they confirm to Epilog US policy so I presume it will be equivalent to Trotec)
    Now this is a biggy and might be the deciding factor after quotes come through: Located only 10min from my day Job and 25min from home (Easy access for materials each day, same day orders available and can pickup)
    Pricing yet to be determined (awaiting quotes)

So that it so far, Once the quotes are in I can start getting together some 5 year P & L spreadsheets so I can see what I will be in for in worse case scenarios

If you plan on doing a 5 YR P&L to make it, you better be including the speed at which it engraves. 5 years is a long time to go slower on every thing you put in the machine that requires engraving.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    If you plan on doing a 5 YR P&L to make it, you better be including the speed at which it engraves. 5 years is a long time to go slower on every thing you put in the machine that requires engraving.

If he can't get the material for an extra day like he could from the Epilog what difference does the speed make

Getting material is not much of a problem, in fact most of us keep an inventory of material that we use regularly and plan ahead for the jobs we know are coming in the near term.

The speed of the machine is a factor every time you turn it on, unless you are a hobby engraver. The reason we continue to bring up the performance of the Trotec is that experience has taught us how important it can be when your in a production environment. Its also important to mention that if you don't get at least a 75 watt machine IMO the speed won't be as big an issue, if you have to slow the machine down to get the proper engraving you will rarely use the higher speed.

When I sold my Epilog it was dirty because it was almost impossible to keep it clean, the Trotec is a whole other story based on the way it is designed. I'm not bashing Epilog, they make a good machine but the Trotec is a step up due to superior engineering IMO. You have to look beyond the specifications if you are interested in the rest of the story.

150 IPS with 5G acceleration is hard to beat and a machine with lesser specs can double the engraving time. Imagine you have thousands of signs to engrave and one machine engraves a sign in just 4 minutes and another takes 6 minutes. Now consider twelve months of engraving 40 hours per week and you can easily see how the metrics shake out. in my case I was four months early using a 75 watt Trotec on three commercial buildings instead of being late using a 60 watt Xenetech. When you analyze the numbers its not just the power of the tube, the speed and acceleration is just as important.