Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

We are blessed here in the states where we have a big choice of suppliers. I keep reading that in Australia they don't have that and some are hundreds of miles (kilometers) away.

Every factor is being taken into consideration. Be aware though that this first purchase for me as stated is a side business with hobby use, meaning I will not be taking on big contracts, I have a full time job which pays my bills and this machine will be night and weekend use only. The 5 year p&l is there for my own reference so I can see what I will need to break even more than make a big profit from the investment. I understand the speed benefit from trotec but I also have a limit on my budget and to make use of that speed I will unlikely be able to afford a machine that can output the power needed to make use of it.

As I said though I am pending quotes and options from both suppliers so my decision has yet to be made.

Trotec have come back with a price for a Speedy 100 50 Watt per-owned (12months old) that fits into the budget so that is currently number one choice, I would have prefered a 60W machine but looks like I cannot stretch that far just yet.

Epilog will be quoting for me when I can confirm my financial situation but have indicated their prices to me and a new Mini 24 60W might end up around the same price as the Speedy 100 50W or only a few K more, will be making my decision in the next few weeks after I can confirm how much I can put towards this venture.

Both machines are good choices. Don't forget to add up the extras - what comes with and does not come with each machine.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Well to coin a phase "this s$%t just got real" my financial backer for this project just gave me the green light to start purchasing equipment, eek, its rolling on a bit faster than I anticipated... better get to it, lots of setup to get done, exhaust syste to be put in place, 15amp circuit for my garage to run the unit and website/business name to sort out, although I've got most of last part already done

I just bought a Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt and I couldn't be happier! I don't think you could go wrong with either machine but I'm so happy with mine that I would urge you to consider the Trotec very seriously. One more thing - buy more machine than you think you'll need. If the Speedy 100 or the Mini 24 will do what you want them to do now, I can guarantee you that they won't be able to do what you want in a year or two, or at the very least you'll discover things you could have done if you would have bought a bigger/more powerful machine. The difference between 50 and 60 watts is negligible, but you should look at the Speedy 360 or even the 400 and imagine what you could do with either one of them. You could always upgrade later but it will cost you more in the long run than if you just bite the bullet and upgrade now. Just my $.02

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the thoughts, I do have a limit on my budget and the Speedy 100 gets pretty darn close to it, I think the 360 will be way over what I can realistically afford to purchase, this is not a full time venture for me, I have a 8-5 job that pays my bills and this will be 6-10 on weekdays and weekends, I agree though getting a machine that is more than i need now can benefit in the long run but I can only go so far, I will be querying with Trotec and Epilog what a Speedy 300 and Fusion will cost me though so I can compare the cost.

Jack,

Let's chat. I'll PM you. I'm currently in talks w/ my local Trotec rep to purchase either a Speedy 300 or 400.

Thanks
    Glenn Chua
    Morrisville, NC
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Trotec 80W Speedy 400
    CAMaster Stinger III

360 is nice but too much. would be interested to know what you decide between the 300 or 400 and how it performs.

At this stage it looks like I will be going with Epilog, Trotec's AU price is just outrageous

Will keep you all updated though which way I go.

Progress each day... moving on to final equipment choices, getting the garage ready now for the machine, extractor unit and venting should be done by next week, i purchased the laptop today to run the machine and do the coraldraw work on / show off designs etc if I'm at a clients home, i do have a question about coraldraw, should i get the home edition or pay for a year on the graphics suite?

I'm not sure but I don't think the home edition is for commercial use, or maybe I'm mixing thet up with the student edition. I would check with corel to be sure.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The Home/Student edition is more limited than the suite. I always gone with Suite as Home can't be used for commercial use.

Excluded Pro Features for CorelDRAW® Home & Student Suite X7:

- Native 64-bit OS support
    - VBA / VSTA support
    - Macro functions disabled
    - Some Professional Print options disabled (CMYK features, composite, color separations, PostScript and prepress tabs in the print dialog)
    - Enhanced Color Management, Default Color Management settings and large print preview disabled
    - Some additional functions and support removed: Color Styles, Object Styles , Color Harmonies, QR codes, Planar Mask tool in Corel PHOTO-PAINT, color
    proofing option, Undo dockers, Universal Laser & Roland color palettes, the ability to create left & right master pages, and custom placeholder text
    - Some external file format support removed: DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.
    - The layout tab has been simplified
    - Option to purchase Premium Membership not available for CorelDRAW® Home & Student Suite Users

I've got an Epilog Mini 40 and was thinking of upgrading. Just had my second laser tube replaced on the machine in two years. So looking at other options. How much did Trotec want for their lasers?

Hi Jack,

You have contacted Trotec and Epilog reps but have you ever considered third option.......Universal Laser Systems (ULSINC.COM)
    I'm sure they would have a rep down under. In my estimate they rank second to Trotec.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Yes just checked your right it's not. I might just get the 1 year subscription then