Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Through Comcast - WHEW!

Got Through Comcast - WHEW!

About a week ago I called Comcast to transfer our IL account to FL. The language barrier made it tough to understand what was happening and before I knew it I was agreeing to establish a new account. The installer arrived Saturday and again the language barrier made communication difficult but after numerous machinations he finished the installation and left.

When I sat down that evening to watch TV, I realized we didn't have the same setup we used to have. And when I turned the TV off, the sound was mute after I turned it back on and I had to reboot the cable box by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Then it was about 5 minutes before the box was connected again and the TV and sound worked. This happened every time.

So I called Comcast and told them (this was the second call about the sound) and they wanted to reboot the box. I told them that was already done. I just wanted a service call ordered. They finally did but it took about 30 minutes for the operator to make that happen.

Yesterday I called to request a DVR. They said doing so would cancel the service call scheduled for today and besides, they were out of DVRs. So I said I wanted to also add some channels. They said doing that would cancel the service call too. I stopped asking for help.

Two service vans arrived today. They came in and sat in front of the TV for about 1/2 hour. Maybe they were adjusting their picks on Fantasy Football. Finally they said the problem is in the TV and left.

By now I've been well trained not to ask for anything special, like help.

I later got a phone call from Mumbai and the operator asked if I wanted to add some channels. I said, "Yes." I knew not to say too much.

She told me I could upgrade and add some channels for $14.98. I asked her what channels I would be getting.

I forgot. This is Comcast.

After about 20 minutes of her directing me to various web pages that didn't work she finally said she'd email me a link.

15 minutes of waiting for the email to come through ended when the call dropped.

While I was waiting for her to call me back, the email came through. No, she never did call back.

I clicked on the link and suddenly I was in my account and at a page that let me do the upgrades online. I clicked on the channels I wanted to add. They asked for the last 4 digits of my SS# for confirmation. Then they said to hold so an "analyst" could confirm the order. A chat window opened and I waited about 10 minutes for Subashish to answer. This is the transcript:

Subashish: Hello JULIE M_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Subashish. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Subashish:
    How are you doing today?

JULIE M:
    Fine

Subashish:
    As per the work order we’ve received today, we’d like to authenticate few details before we go ahead and finalize your order.

JULIE M:
    OK

Subashish:
    Please verify if all the details are correct?

JULIE M:
    They are correct

Subashish:
    Please allow me one to two minutes to open your account details.

Subashish: Thank you for patiently waiting.

Subashish: For verification, can you type the last 4 digits of your Social Security number?

JULIE M:
    XXXX

Subashish:
    Thank you for the complete verification, Julie

Subashish: The price of Digital Preferred TV upgrade package is $9.99/MO for the first 12 months.

Subashish: After 12 months, regular charges apply. Comcast's current monthly service charge for the package is around $17.95/MO

Subashish: After 12 months, regular charges apply. Comcast's current monthly service charge for the package is around $17.95/MO

Subashish: The price of Sports Channels package is $4.99/MO for the first 12 months.

JULIE M:
    I thought it was for 24 months

Subashish:
    After 12 months, regular charges apply. Comcast's current monthly service charge for the Sports Channels package is around $9.95/MO

Subashish: I would like to inform you that the promotional price of the package is for the first 12 months.

Subashish: Your total monthly bill with Digital Preferred and Sports Channels will be : $114.97/MO + taxes.

JULIE M:
    Do you still have (my old address) in my name as an open account?

Subashish:
    Let me check that for you.

Subashish: As I have checked that there is an active account however it is not under your name.

JULIE M:
    OK. We would also like to upgrade to a DVR.

Subashish:
    I would like to inform you that one X1 DVR will cost you $19.95 per month.

Subashish: Should I go ahead and replace your current X1 Digital cable box with X1 DVR now?

JULIE M: Yes

Subashish:
    Perfect let me quickly process your order now.

Subashish: Julie, could you please confirm that you would like to install the service by yourself or you need a professional installation?

JULIE M:
    I can install it

Subashish:
    You will receive your Self Installation kit with X1 DVR within 3 – 4 business days.

JULIE M:
    ok

Subashish:
    I would like to inform you that once you will receive the self installation kit you will need to plug-ins the X1 DVR and to activate the service you just need to follow the easy instructions at www.xfinity.com/activate and once you will follow that link service will be activate on the same time.

Subashish:
    The fee for the Self-Installation Kit is $9.95

JULIE M:
    is there any fee if an installer comes out?

Subashish:
    Yes, there will be an one time fee of $39.95 for the professional installation.

Subashish: I would like to inform you that you will need to return your current X1 HD cable box to your nearest Comcast service center.

Subashish: I have a good news for you.

JULIE M:
    Do I need an installation kit or can I just change out the boxes?

Subashish:
    I will add the X1 DVR on a promotional price for $7.99/MO for the first 12 months.

JULIE M:
    Ok, I'll take the promotional price on the DVR

Subashish:
    You will need the self installation kit as you will receive X1 DVR within self installation kit.

Subashish: Perfect let me quickly process your order now with X1 DVR with self installation kit.

JULIE M:
    OK. Send the DVR and the installation kit. Where do I return the old box?

Subashish:
    would like to inform you that you will need to return your current X1 HD cable box to your nearest Comcast service center.

Subashish: To locate your nearest Comcast service center please go through this link : http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/sho...reLocator.html

Subashish: Your monthly bill with with Digital Preferred, Sports Channels and X1 DVR will be : $122.96/MO + taxes

JULIE M:
    OK

Subashish:
    After 12 months, regular charges apply. Comcast's current monthly service charge for the X1 DVR is around $19.95/MO

Subashish: The one time shipping fee will be added to your next month bill.

JULIE M:
    Can I pick it up where I'll be dropping off the old box and save shipping costs?

Subashish:
    Yes, you can pick up the X1 DVR from your nearest Comcast service center.

JULIE M: Will they have one in stock? Yesterday, an agent said they were back ordered.

Subashish: Julie, I really apologize however it may possible the self installation kit pick up option with X1 DVR is not available.

Subashish: As I have checked that X1 DVR on a promotional price for $7.99/mo is currently not available in your account.

Subashish: So X1 DVR will cost you $19.95 per month.

Subashish: and we can process your order with X1 DVR with self installation kit shipping option?

Subashish: Your monthly bill with with Digital Preferred, Sports Channels and X1 DVR will be : $134.92/mo + taxes

JULIE M: OK, send the DVR I kit

Subashish: Should I process your order now?

JULIE M: Yes

Subashish: I have successfully processed your order.

Subashish: You will receive your Self Installation kit with in 3 – 4 business days.

Subashish: Your satisfaction is my priority. Is there anything else I can assist you with? I am more than glad to help you out further.

JULIE M: No. We're done. Thank you, Subashish.

Subashish: I do appreciate the time you took to contact us and your patience through out the chat.

Subashish: Just to let you know, at the end of this chat there will be a short survey. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to complete it so we can continue to improve the service we provide to you.

Subashish: If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Xfinity also offers great FAQ and Help forums located at http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/ to help you solve many issues on your own.

Subashish: I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with you. It is my goal to exceed your expectations, and I hope that you will take a moment to complete the short survey I mentioned earlier; your feedback will help us to continue improving how we serve you.Thank you for contacting Xfinity and have a great day.

And now I'm eating Florida pizza. Assimilation is unavoidable.
    True story.

And Seinfeld thought the Soup Nazi was tough.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Comcast's motto - We're not happy, until you're not happy.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Julie, Darlin' --

Just so we are clear - you did not actually come looking for sympathy about Comcast Customer Service, right?

Fresh out.

News on Fla shop opportunities?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I had some issues with setting up Comcast service after I moved, but I least always got service reps who spoke native English. Comcast has a huge call center located here which probably helps. Comcast seems committed to keeping their call center here as they are spending millions to renovate the building.

My Comcast has just worked over the years except for some issues related to my move.

Julie

You're a testament to tenacity. I would have hung up, and gone to a pub to watch the TV.

I'm glad I have never owned a TV, or had cable TV service. Dealing with them for just Internet is the limit of my patience.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Well at least I see that Comcast business model hasn't changed since I moved from Maryland to Texas 17 years ago. The couple of times I needed to call custimer service for DirectTV I had a pleasant conversation with an english speaking rep located here in the US that solved my issue quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Julie, Darlin' --

Just so we are clear - you did not actually come looking for sympathy about Comcast Customer Service, right?

Fresh out.

News on Fla shop opportunities?
    Hmmmm... So I failed to elicit even a modicum of empathy? I'll have to hone my writing skills further.

As for shopping, the trip may be over. We're in the walk-for-whetever-reason stage of the contract now. And if we see it to its logical conclusion, I will happily be calling 1-800-XFINITY once again so I can once again immerse myself in masochistic frustration.

Just think, I can suffer watching the Bears and Jay Cutler perform pathetically, then look out the window and see palm trees, knowing an umbrella drink is only minutes away. And then I can switch to the "home team" and watch Lovie's lips move as he reads the score board, trying to figure out what it means. Paradise!

Blog Entries
    I would like to say that Directv is better in their customer service, but I can't. I do think they have better quality signal and slightly less cost. At least of you have been a customer for a while they will upgrade your equipment for free if you threaten to go to their competitor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

WOW....and I thought cable TV was expensive up here!!!...I'm with Rogers and pay $95.00/month including taxes for enhanced cable and several add on packages and a DVR....

I pay $150 per month with Comcast, with no DVR's. We have two cable cards for our two Tivo's, phone, and internet.
    And, every year they raise the price $25-$50 and I have to call to complain to get the "promotion price". When they stop giving me the promotional price, we're going internet only, with Hulu and over the air HD antennas.

I'd love to pay $95...
    Gerry

JointCAM

Blog Entries
    Julie,

You have my empathy. But frankly I would have gone almost any other route than dealing with what you put up with. My experience with Dish is a vast improvement over yours with Comcast.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have ATT Uverse and it's been pretty good. However, I pay about $150 for telephone, a minimum TV package (including DVR) and reasonably fast Internet access. But their service has been generally good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Julie,

You have my empathy. But frankly I would have gone almost any other route than dealing with what you put up with. My experience with Dish is a vast improvement over yours with Comcast.

I had to call on the Zen in me many times.

I went through a similar experience getting phone, internet, and Directv hooked up through AT&T. It took my wife and me about 2 weeks of calling before we could get a phone line hooked up. It was at least another week before the DSL internet got connected, but they added a 2nd phone line in the process including an additional $50 monthly bill. Taking away the 2nd phone line took out the internet, so that was another week or two to get connected.

We spent at least 20 hours on the phone over the course of a month to get connected. Every time we would call we would get a different person with a different plan on how to solve the problem of the day.

Connecting Directv was reasonably easy, although the $5 savings promised by bundling everything never happened because we have 3 separate bills for everything. I am afraid to try to combine them because I am certain that we will lose service for a few weeks before it is stable again.

I guess that this is the future that we can all look forward to. Cable and TV companies can only compete if they are huge so they can negotiate cheaper rates from their providers. We are stuck dealing with inefficient monopolies. Switching from satellite to cable doesn't solve anything or make it any cheaper. Both are equally frustrating. They all know that they don't have to make themselves more efficient. They just have to be about the same as their competitors.

Steve

When I first read this I thought you were talking about the Chicagoan/Floridian language barrier. LOL