Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I regret it?

Will I regret it?

Ok, I've been doing my homework on drum sanders and I've decided the supermax line fits my needs and budget. Now here's the kicker, I've been looking at the 19-38 for awhile now and it was my top pick until I saw they have a 25-50. Both machines are pretty much the same minus capacity, however there is a $600 price difference.

I've set a budget of $2000 to spend on a drum sander, the 19-38 is $1400 and the 25-50 tops off my budget at $2000. If I get the 19-38 then I have about $600 to spend on in/out feed tables as well as an assortment of sand paper. If I get the 25-50 then I have nothing left for add-ons.

My dilemma, I like to have the best I can get but don't know if getting the 25-50 is worth it. Will I regret getting the 19-38 in the event I never come across I have a board/table top wider then 38"? The biggest project I have on my to do list is a dining table that will be 40" wide, other then that I don't see myself going past 24" that often.

I don't mind maxing out my budget and getting the 25-50 but it would be nice to have that extra $600 to spend on other things. My question for you guys that have the 19-38 is, have you ever wished you had a larger sander for that 1 job you were working on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hoang

I ran across a 16/32 Perfomax that I couldn't pass up because of the price. I had a drum sander on the list with items "that I would like to have" but didn't need at the moment. I will say that I love the darn thing and used it immediately on a job we got for two dressers. If it were me, I would get the biggest because I am always upgrading my tools. With 25 inches, for me, that takes care of a lot of the hall/sofa tables we build as well as the dressers and night stands. With 25 inches, no adjustments will be needed for the "twice pass" of the table top for a lot of items.

Depending on the time frame involved on your need, I would certainly keep an eye out on craiglist. You may find like i did, a smaller version that works for now, buy it, and if a larger comes along, what have you lost, buy the larger and sell the smaller. Good luck with your search.

I have a 16/32 and really regret not having a bigger one. I'd definitely go with the 25/50.

Mike

[I have no idea whether this is a good sander or not, but here's a 24" for less than $2K. It has the advantage of having the drum supported on both ends. I have a sander where one end is open and I think a drum with support on both ends would be better. Also, this one is 240V - and a bigger motor.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-25-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Hoang,

A while ago, I posted my review of 25-50;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...x-25-50-review

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-26-2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Removed search highlight

The different models might entail more than just a larger capacity. I don't have experience with those particular machines but I do have a Performax 22-44 and before that had a 16-32. The 22-44 is just a better machine. The parts are significantly more robust, much heavier, bigger motor and held it's settings better. Plus of course the capacity. If you can afford it and have the space, I doubt you will regret going bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a 16/32 and really regret not having a bigger one. I'd definitely go with the 25/50.

.]
    I have the same sander and although I think it's a great machine and I use it a lot I too wish it had more capacity. I don't think you would ever regret purchasing the larger drum sander.

Blog Entries
    As you may have noticed, the "better" machine will be the one that suits your needs. I have the Supermax 19-38 and have never exceeded its capacity; to someone else it may appear a "small" machine . Mostly I use it to sand parts, not assemblies. When sanding assemblies the abrasive path often goes against the grain on at least some part of the component. This would leave a lot of hand sanding for the types of things I make. If you sand things like already assembled raised panel doors and then go straight to applying finish from there, you have a different requirement than I do. In this case greater capacity can be a godsend.

The open stand is heavy duty but, pretty worthless for anything other than holding the machine up. I build a drawer unit base for mine that stores all my sanding supplies and more and would suggest you do something similar. The infeed outfeed tables are a requirement for me, not so for everyone. I wouldn't be without them.

Once adjusted the machine has stayed true. The table adjustment lever baffles some and I get that. The design is not inherently obvious but, well explained in the manual and simple to use. The only thing I can think of to complain about on the machine is that they put the more persnickety spring-loaded paper clamp near the yoke where it is a bit cramped as opposed to placing it at the open end where there is room for days. That being said, by all accounts, paper changes on this machine are a breeze compared to any other brand I have read reports on. I know that after the first going through a paper change once, it becomes a non-issue for me and I change grits readily while preparing parts.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-26-2015 at 8:46 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hoang.

I used to own the Performax 16-32, and there were a few times that I needed to sand wider than 16". I will tell you that it is not easy to control the material, overlapping your passes.
    A 25" single drum sander is not going to be removing much material, on any single pass with a 1.75 Hp motor, if your workpiece is wider than 25".You will be making a lot of passes, at progressively finer grits, with this type machine. I ran three, 10'x 27" panel through my 16-32, and that was what convinced me to buy a dual drum sander.
    If it's pre- sanding, for furniture construction, that you want to do, I would recommend a dual drum sander. You're right in the ball park cost wise.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've run some 30+ inch wide panels through my Delta 18X36 drum sander. It takes a lot of support to keep a 5 or 6 foot long panel going in/out of the machine perfectly parallel to avoid snipe on the ends. It will take even more support to do that with a 40+ inch x 6 to 8' long table top. Personally, I am happy with something around 18 - 20". For a big table top I would take it to a shop with a wide belt sander and have them sand it for me, especially if you only ever plan to make one or two tables that size. Big is nice, but there's a point where the returns don't justify the investment or space.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Hoang.

I used to own the Performax 16-32, and there were a few times that I needed to sand wider than 16". I will tell you that it is not easy to control the material, overlapping your passes.
    A 25" single drum sander is not going to be removing much material, on any single pass with a 1.75 Hp motor, if your workpiece is wider than 25".You will be making a lot of passes, at progressively finer grits, with this type machine. I ran three, 10'x 27" panel through my 16-32, and that was what convinced me to buy a dual drum sander.
    If it's pre- sanding, for furniture construction, that you want to do, I would recommend a dual drum sander. You're right in the ball park cost wise.
    Which dual drum did you choose, Mike. I'm looking right now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a 19-38; of course I wish it were bigger, but I also wish it had a bigger motor. I wouldn't spend 40% more for a bigger machine unless it also had a bigger motor. You don't say what you will be using it for, I personally would go with the 19/38.

Of course, I also wouldn't pay for the in/out tables. I had them on a 16/32 (before I moved and sold it) and skipped them on the 19/38. Don't miss them at all. I know people love them, but I just don't see why.

I agree, Wade, the in/out feed tables are a waste of money and space. For most boards you don't need them and for really big stuff like a table top they aren't adequate.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Of course, I also wouldn't pay for the in/out tables. I had them on a 16/32 (before I moved and sold it) and skipped them on the 19/38. Don't miss them at all. I know people love them, but I just don't see why.
    Just more proof that the "better" machine is the one that meets your specific needs. The infeed table prevents me having to stand there and support the piece on the way in to avoid snipe. Ditto for the outfeed on the way out; and I use some slowwww speeds sometimes .

Certainly what you do and how you do it influences the value of the tables. I have grits from 36 to 320 grit and use them all pretty regularly. The person who puts 120 grit on the machine and runs that until its dead would see no sense in paying for all that other sandpaper.

The different use experiences and methods of our members is what makes the forum so valuable. I get a lot of good from the wide variety of use cases presented for a given process. The yays and nays all have value as they each help different folks doing different things .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a 24" double drum sander (General Intl) many years ago. I never got even close to the performance I thought I was buying. I was very naive. I learned from my experience that drum sanders are very very limited in the utility they provide. I think the rubber coated, spiral type drums found on the bigger drum sanders would be way better, but of course very expensive.
    My advice... save your money for another machine. Like others have said, find a local cabinet shop and pay them to sand your parts with their wide belt sander. And while you are there, notice that they don't own a drum sander

Wow, thanks for all the great responds guys, it gives me a lot to think about. I would mainly use the drum sander to help cut back on sanding time with my projects by sanding parts before assembly. I don't mind changing out the paper to different grits to get the results I want. As for table tops, I would use the drum sander to help knock down glue lines before final sanding. I can't seem to get a nice even table top with just a 5" random orbital sander.