Thread: Dremel Recall

Dremel Recall

This link is to the Canadian Government site - I'm sure the US government has a similar site.

A cut and paste from the site:

Dremel® MICRO™ Model 8050 Rotary Tool

Product description

This recall involves the Dremel® MICRO™ Model 8050 Rotary Tool with date codes 407 through 505. The model and serial numbers as well as the date codes are located on the name plate of the product, which is on the side opposite the Dremel® logo. Products are dark gray with a silver label and blue control buttons and have 8V lithium ion batteries.
    Hazard identified

The tool’s circuit board can overheat and melt the tool’s enclosure. If the tool is being held while overheating, it could present a risk of burn. Additionally, some tools may lose their speed control changing to high speed in use, turn on by themselves, or may not turn off, posing a personal injury hazard.
    Health Canada has not received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries related to the use of this product.
    Robert Bosch Tool has received six reports from consumers of tools overheating. There are no reports of injuries.
    Number sold

Approximately 2748 units were sold in Canada and 93 000 units the United States.

UNQUOTE

Good to know! Thanks for the post.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

When I have a Dremel catch on fire I just throw it away,
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Ha, thats bad, never heard of one of them catching on fire. To be honest I ditched Dremel a long time ago and use a Foredom now. Totally different class of tool.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I had one and it failed.

I'll never buy Dremel again.

I have a fireproof glove I wear when I use my Dremel. Its actually kind of nice, the fire keeps me warm and I can trim and wood burn with the same tool. Win Win!

Actually - I have a Foredom as well. Different concept entirely and much better. Also costs a lot more...