Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Sanding Disc for Hand Drill: Adhesive Advise?

Foam Sanding Disc for Hand Drill: Adhesive Advise?

Hi guys,
    I made a 2" diameter foam sanding disc to attach hook and loop sandpaper to for sanding bowls. It's mounted on a bolt, with about an inch of medium-ish density foam attached to the wood. On the face of the foam I used some Velcro with a self adhesive back that is supposedly "industrial" grade.

For the wood/foam interface I used a heavy duty epoxy and that has worked well (I initially tried double sided tape and that failed. I tried Gorilla glue next and that last a while. I finally settled on the epoxy and I'm happy with it so far).

For the foam/Velcro interface the adhesive on the back of the Velcro turns gooey and soft as I sand since the sand paper can get fairly warm. Once the adhesive goes gooey, the holding strength drops pretty quickly. I was looking for a flexible epoxy to hold the Velcro to the foam pad, but there doesn't seem to be much out there that I can find. I eyeballed contact cement, but I'm afraid any sort of heat will cause that to fail. My last thought was one of the "super glue gels" they are advertising, but I have no experience with such a super glue.

What do you guys out there use that holds up well when the face of the sanding disc heats up? Any suggestions?

I have done two club demos on making mandrels. For the type you are making I highly recommend Klingspoor Velcro. It comes in a sheet and it has a high heat resistance adhesive. I use Goop adhesive instead of epoxy. I use Neiko Ro-loc rubber mandrels. I chuck them in the lathe and sand the rubber thinner to make it even more flexible. The goop glue is just like E-6000 but cheaper ( both made by the same company). It will not harden like epoxy. For foam I've use everything from flip flops to garden kneeler so and aerobic mats. The best I've found is a black kneeler made by McQuire auto buffing compounds. I found it at Menards in the janitorial supplies. No air bubbles but medium soft. When assembled I cut and sand them on the lathe to the desired size.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the additional info Bob. For the Goop adhesive/E-6000, do you use this between the Velcro and foam-- or is this used where the foam and wood join?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Thanks for the additional info Bob. For the Goop adhesive/E-6000, do you use this between the Velcro and foam-- or is this used where the foam and wood join?
    The Kingpoor Velcro adhesive is so good it will tear the form apart if you tried to take it apart. The goop is between the mandrel and form. By using a flexible rubber mandrel the foam and rubber will conform to the shape of the bowl.
    Thanks!
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Gee--this bunch amazes me--many a good source of good info.

I have been using a sanding pad from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...54&cat=1,42500 and the new wave sanding discs http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...53&cat=1,42500 no muss, no fuss and well worth the money to not have to mess around with glue etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I have been using a sanding pad from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...54&cat=1,42500 and the new wave sanding discs http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...53&cat=1,42500 no muss, no fuss and well worth the money to not have to mess around with glue etc...

Seems pretty expensive for a bolt, washer, nut, some foam and some Velcro. A few of those I made might have material cost of $1.50, but I really prefer having different densities and flexibity for a variety of sanding chores. If the Velcro wears out on a madrel, take a cigarette lighter and put the flame close to the Velcro. It will shrivel up and come off easily. Just remember it's hot and sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Seems pretty expensive for a bolt, washer, nut, some foam and some Velcro. A few of those I made might have material cost of $1.50, but I really prefer having different densities and flexibity for a variety of sanding chores. If the Velcro wears out on a madrel, take a cigarette lighter and put the flame close to the Velcro. It will shrivel up and come off easily. Just remember it's hot and sticky.

Well I've been using the same sanding pad for over 5 years now and no wasting time trying to make one to save a few bucks...seems very inexpensive at about 5 bucks a year so far....Time is money...sounds like the amount of time spent fiddling with pads coming off, glue heating up, etc... could be well spent woodturning instead...
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 08-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Well I've been using the same sanding pad for over 5 years now and no wasting time trying to make one to save a few bucks...seems very inexpensive at about 5 bucks a year so far....
    That's a pretty good review right there. I may make my own for now and add the Lee Valley ones to my Christmas list..

One way to give a little more separation (from a heat perspective) between the sandpaper and the foam/backer is to put an innerface pad (it's got Velcro on both sides, comes in different densities) on your sanding pad and apply your sandpaper to that. Vince's WoodnWonders is one place that sells them. Bought some at SWAT last weekend..............
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

For the hobbyist, the homemade versions are "part of the hobby trip", and a buck saved on tools means more wood. I prefer to make my own tooling when I can make them at a reasonable price savings. This is one of those I make myself, I use a piece of 1/4" steel rod for the shaft, the wood is scrap, the pad from flip flops. The steel rod I buy for my welding projects in 20 foot lengths, and use the shorts for this type of project. My cost is the glue, the flip flops and the hook and loop material, but the cost is immaterial, I was playing at my hobby when I made them.

Another possibility that I've had good luck with is barge cement and the hook material sold for converting clamp on pad sanders to hook and loop. Garden knee pad foam from the big box stores is very versatile as well.

Shoe Goo. Bonds to anything (including flesh). Stays flexible but has a tenacious grip. Cheap.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Shoe Goo. Bonds to anything (including flesh). Stays flexible but has a tenacious grip. Cheap.
    I agree shoe goo is great also. All three of these adhesives are made by the same company and they seem very similar in composition. I know Goop has many 4 different formulas. I can't tell much diffence between them for this application.

Well I've been using the same sanding pad for over 5 years now and no wasting time trying to make one to save a few bucks...seems very inexpensive at about 5 bucks a year so far....Time is money...sounds like the amount of time spent fiddling with pads coming off, glue heating up, etc... could be well spent woodturning instead...

The reason I make my own is that I found the ones from the major suppliers too rigid for my type of bowl turning. In the picture of the many mandrels there is one from Craft Supply on the right side of the photo. It is like new and rarely used. I don't deny its rugidness, but it does lack flexibity for sanding under rims or small bottoms in deeper bowls. Sanding mandrels are like gouges. Different ones for different jobs. I have 1" Velcro mandrels that fit my Dremmel.