Thread: Good deal on a PM1000?

Good deal on a PM1000?

I am finally picking up my first table saw.. Something I will be using to do a kitchen remodel (including cabinets) and plenty of furniture making. I believe I have the opportunity to pick up a "scratch & dent" Powermatic PM1000 for about $1100 bucks. From what I understand, the saw is new but has gotten some scratches and/or dents in the steel base which would prevent it being sold as new and full price.

Is that as good of a deal as it sounds? Other than cosmetic damage, is there anything I should look out for? For that price, it seems like the only other saws to check out are Grizzlys, and it would seem that this is a better saw? Am I right there?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good deal. See if you can power it up before you put cash down.... I'm a big fan of powermatic but all of my machines are older. I personally would look for a used powermatic 66 or delta unisaw, but some will take a little maintenance to work right. One way or another if you get it, it'd be a sweet first saw!!!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I guess I'd say -- not a stone killer of a deal, but not the worst deal. Depends on a few things:

First: what else is on the saw? What table length? PM rip fence? Mobile base? Any blades thrown into the deal?

It is 1-3/4 HP, which is OK, but at the lower limit - except, it allows you to run 120v, which it is - don't need to wire for 240v.

Table lengths can go up to 50". Don't know what it has, or what you need/want?

There are a lot of guys here that will be jumping in shortly to say: For a few hundred more, plus a 240v source, you can get a brand-new, under warranty, 3 hp Grizzly.

I'd tend to go along with them - but I don't know your wallet's capacity.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Aside from cosmetic damage, if it's complete with the original fence and warranty, it's a pretty decent deal IMO. The innerds are more similar to a highend hybrid saw like the Jet Proshop than the PM2000, but it's a well built saw with a great fence nonetheless.

If you have 220v, something like a Grizzly G1023RL offers a slight downgrade in polish, but more beef under the hood for ~ $1350 to your door.

Regardless of what you end up with, setup and blade selection are the determining factors in the end performance....
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-27-2015 at 5:38 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Friedman View Post
    I am finally picking up my first table saw.. Something I will be using to do a kitchen remodel (including cabinets) and plenty of furniture making. I believe I have the opportunity to pick up a "scratch & dent" Powermatic PM1000 for about $1100 bucks. From what I understand, the saw is new but has gotten some scratches and/or dents in the steel base which would prevent it being sold as new and full price.

Is that as good of a deal as it sounds? Other than cosmetic damage, is there anything I should look out for? For that price, it seems like the only other saws to check out are Grizzlys, and it would seem that this is a better saw? Am I right there?

Thanks!
    Porter
    It's a nice saw and should serve you well. Nothing about that saw will inhibit you in your project. You're getting it for roughly $900.00 less than going rate new. So yeah, it's a good deal.

I have a 1 1/2 Hp Jet contractor saw, and a 1 3/4 Hp, General hybrid saw. Neither have held me back, and I've done some pretty big work with them.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-27-2015 at 5:44 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Depends on a few things:

First: what else is on the saw? What table length? PM rip fence? Mobile base? Any blades thrown into the deal?
    Sorry, I should have clarified a bit more. My understanding is that the saw is brand new from the retailer, comes with all normal accessories including fence and everything. Just has some dents.

Its a 30" fence, which I am OK with as it will be going in my <200 sqft garage shop and Ill be getting a mobile base with it. Also, its definitely at the very top of my price range, so spending more on a different saw, or spending more to upgrade my garage electric to 220 is unfortunately not gonna happen.

Thanks for all the replys.

I have a 27" fence (cut down) on a Griz 1023 and can think of once I was wishing for longer. I use a good quality circle saw and blade in conjunction with a shop made saw guide for breaking down sheet goods. That works better for me for a couple reasons. Unless you're working with thick hardwood on a regular basis I doubt the power will be an issue. Thin kerf blades kept clean and sharp seem to work pretty well if you're concerned about bogging down.