Thread: A new plane arrived today from Old Street Tools

A new plane arrived today from Old Street Tools

Today a new Trying planed arrived from Old Street Tools. I have been waiting a few years for Larry and Don to start taking new orders so when I heard a rumor a couple of weeks ago that they might start taking new orders I called to get on the list. Larry told me that the rumor has been around for some time but it wasn't true. I asked him to put me on the list for when the list opened up and he chuckled but was adamant that there wouldn't be one. Undeterred I pressed on to see if there was anything for sale but sadly, no. I hung up thinking I may have bought my last planes from them. Later that day Larry called to say that they had made a Trying plane to take to the Hand Tools event for demo purposes and if I wanted the demo I could buy it. So here it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! I really love using mine. Only the jack gets more use. When I'm too tired, I sit and just look at it in admiration. Quartersawn American beech is really something special.

Very nice plane. Glad to see that Larry and Don are keeping busy.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Awesome! I am very jealous....

They had that with them in Amana. What a beautiful plane. And they assured me they weren't taking orders!

I'm hoping when they reopen the order queue that their 18th century style chisels will be part of the product line.

I'm too busy to learn enough machining to make my own... maybe.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    They had that with them in Amana. What a beautiful plane. And they assured me they weren't taking orders!
    Larry told me that they did not intend to start an order list but would put planes up for sale when they had extras but nothing right away. I'm sure it didn't occur to him to sell the one he was using at the time.f

Blog Entries
    Beautiful looking tool!

You're very lucky! Beautiful plane.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    You should try our very own Steve Voigt- plane maker extraordinaire!! I've heard wonderful things from friends who know about his planes. I don't know what sizes he's offering, other than a coffin smoother that I have my eye on, but he has a web site.

Best, Mike

I've looked at them more than once! I'm trying to decide whether I really want to venture into woodies more than the couple of vintage ones I have. I have the usual array of metal planes that work very well for me. It's only when I use the #8 for any length of time I start thinking about wooden trying planes!

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why they are going to a hand tool event if they are not taking new orders?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand why they are going to a hand tool event if they are not taking new orders?
    I can think of a couple. One is to let people know that they're still a going concern even if no new orders are being taken.

The other is that they like to go to the events and talk to their customers and potentials. Plus get to see what else is going on in the world.

When I used to go on annual bicycle tours one BIG reason was to meet up with friends I'd made from all over the state that I wouldn't have a chance to meet otherwise.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    DVD sales
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.