Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Longest You've Been Separated From Woodworking?

What's The Longest You've Been Separated From Woodworking?

I'm going on about two months since I was last in a fully functioning workshop. All my tools are in storage and we're at least 6 weeks away from moving into a new house, if all goes well. I've been reading some FWW mags to get me through but all that's done is make me want to go out and buy a piece of wood and a small plane and keep planing until the piece is nothing but shavings.

Has anyone experienced this kind of withdrawal?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

No, but that reminds me of a story a buddy of mine told me. He served in the infantry in Vietnam and was wounded in the forearm. They treated him and he was in the US doing physical therapy. For the therapy, they gave him a 2x4 and a bench plane and told him to make something. I'll tell the rest as he told it to me.

"So I take the plane and start making shaving like mad."

The nurse comes by and asks me, "What are you making?"

I tell her "A toothpick!" She just nodded and walked off.

"They didn't care what I did, as long as I exercised the arm."

Mike

[His name was Dan Lunsford and he served with the 1st Cav. He and I went through OCS together.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-26-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Julie

Believe it or not, I'm going on over two years. All
    My projects , including my kitchen stopped dead one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Julie

Believe it or not, I'm going on over two years. All
    My projects , including my kitchen stopped dead one day.
    Don't leave us hanging Mike.... What happened?

Julie
    I absolutely understand your pain. We sold our house a few years back and ended up living in a tiny apartment while we built a new house. I had the hardest time being away. I did manage to build a dock on the lake the house was is on, and a few things in the house, but, the feeling of getting the shop back was amazing.

One thing that helped was I had plenty of time to design the new woodshop. Hard part was once I moved in, it took great strength not to rush it just to get to building stuff. I took the time to do it right and I am so happy I did. Good luck with your new place.

Would it help if you posted your address, and we all send you a bag of sawdust??
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Five years! We moved from a house with a full shop to a condo in Boston. I broke out my cameras and walked the streets. http://www.glennclabo.com
    Then a few months ago we moved to a house in MI. The shop is slow in returning...but there will be one some day.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Don't leave us hanging Mike.... What happened?
    Matt

Two years ago I literally woke up one morning and couldn't move my right arm. The shoulder had just completely locked up. After four or five months of intense therapy, I was scheduled for surgery. I tried to use the table saw in that time period, but the pain was incredible. No,way I could keep building cabinets.
    Just before my surgery, a year ago last January,my wife was diagnosed with cancer, so the surgery was put on hold. 14 months of chemo and surgeries for her later, I finally had my shoulder operated on this past April. Problem was that in the Febuary time frame, the other shoulder locked right up.That one was operated on this past June, so I am finally at the end of everything.
    My wife is getting progressively better, the chemo really whacks a person. So now, it's time to get back to things. She's back at work on a limited basis, and is getting back to her old self. She's wicked smart.
    I was actually cutting Spanish cedar yesterday for drawer linings. I bought a 1912 Gustave Stickley # 909 dresser, and lined it with the cedar. Part of a walk in closet we're doing. I should be able to get back to the kitchen by November.
    I kinda did a lot of damage to both shoulders through life. The Doc' asked when I had broken my shoulder, and I told him I had never broken it. He told my " yes you have, twice." I knew we were in for a wild ride at that point.

We have always been very fortunate in our lives, especially our health. A Cold or flu was about the extent of our medical histories. Sometimes fate just has to throw you a curve ball to see if you can still hit it. We both did.
    Life is good at this point.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-27-2015 at 5:30 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This should be a reminder to all of us that we should cherish every pain-free, healthy day that we have and stop wasting our time and energy trying to change things we cannot change or worrying about things we have no control over.

And to think I quit ww'ing for almost 2 years because I thought I was burned out after a kitchen build.........

Good luck to you both and continued good health.
    Take a close look at your diets the most important aspect of your health is what are you eating?

Many years ago, I moved from a house with a shop of about 12x20 (maybe) to A ranch house with no shop. I built an out building(12x16). It had no electricity and not insulated. I ran everything with a generator. At the time my TS was a Shopsmith and my DC was 220 so it was not used (other than mice to nest in). After the first fall, I gave it up. I lived with that for 2 years. I moved into a new home and a 2 car garage became my mecca! Not been without since. It was hard!

The first 30 years of my life!

+1. I was blind until at 30 I picked up my first hammer and saw.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-27-2015 at 12:15 PM.

I started 2005 or 2006. Then we moved to Chicago for a year and I was away from my shop and any woodworking for a full year.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    +1. I was blind until at 30 I picked up my first hammer and saw.

Since May I've spent all of a couple hours in my shop..... Moving shop in between all the many activities of summer..... It's been one of the busiest summers ever, but I'm just about ready to get things up and running and go back to full time shop work
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last