Thread: Wood lathe copier / duplicator

Cool Wood lathe copier / duplicator

I am thinking on getting a copier / duplicator for my wood lathe. I like the Vega BUT it is expensive
    Need some advice Thanks

What are you trying to duplicate? Is it a onetime project or an ongoing need? There are a lot of homemade versions on the Internet a little research will lead you to some of the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    What are you trying to duplicate? Is it a onetime project or an ongoing need? There are a lot of homemade versions on the Internet a little research will lead you to some of the ideas.
    You probably would do better without a duplicator, especially if it is a onetime project. Even if the repetitive turning is intended to be ongoing, I would still say that you would be far better off NOT using a duplicator. The few I've seen used leave surfaces that require further work, either with a gouge/skew and/or sanding. In any case, they are not really necessary.

I do a lot of repetitive spindle turning -- with a little practice you can duplicate closely freehand, have far better surfaces from the tool, and do it it in less time. Before I started doing this sort of turning, I looked at duplicators and watched at least a couple in-person demos. I finally decided that the cost greatly outweighed the limited benefits. At this point I certainly would NOT buy a duplicator.

A better option -- a good detail gouge (or two) is a far better and smaller investment which will give you far better off-the-tool results; using a skew might be even better if you learn to use one. I use detail and regular spindle gouges; I would like to learn to use a skew and have been practicing.

I agree with Robert. You will get faster and better with each spindle you do.

https://youtu.be/5PycgbO4tK0 pretty hard to beat a GOOD duplicator. The parts are identical. Its fast. I get a good finish off the tool LOL.

Thanks to ALL of you for replying so FAST
    I will be turn parts for my son (very picky) ever thing MUST be to his drawing and look a like. I am not capable of doing that I do fairly good at bowls.
    Does anyone know anything about SCM Mini Max T 124 lathe duplicator. I would like to see the duplication in action Thanks

the problem I have noticed with duplicators is the way the tool is ground most of the time. too much relief and they will self feed. not enough and they don't want to cut. same goes for the cutting edge bevel.

Glenn...
    If the Vega is too expensive, this would never be in your budget, but.... here is a peek at one of my custom projects mounted on a Jet 1642EVS2. I hope to make a smaller (read as much less expensive) version for the 1221VS by the end of the year.

https://youtu.be/4j_GFr0spSE
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Here is a clear description by a production turner (John Siegel) on how to turn multiple copies of spindles without a duplicator:

http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles/duplication.pdf

Thanks to all who replied
    TODAY I call every Vega dealer I could fine. They all offered the same price the only difference was some would pay for shipping instate tax
    I call Vega direct they gave me a Great price and out of state no tax and paid for the shipping
    After I use the lathe I will post a report

Thanks again As Captain Eddy would say lets make some chips

Here's a simple way to do duplicate tunings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYB1vWswqLk

Quote Originally Posted by glenn charles View Post
    Thanks to all who replied
    TODAY I call every Vega dealer I could fine. They all offered the same price the only difference was some would pay for shipping instate tax
    I call Vega direct they gave me a Great price and out of state no tax and paid for the shipping
    After I use the lathe I will post a report

Thanks again As Captain Eddy would say lets make some chips
    I have had a Vega for 12 yrs, made a lot of turnings, up to 6x6 columns for a fireplace. Bed posts, newels, balusters. The V cutter is best, the small carbide they have, not so great. I sharpen the V cutter with my Worksharp 3000 . Using the leather strop you can put a very sharp edge on the cutter.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 08-30-2015 at 5:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Thanks I am not formilla with Worksharp tools. I will look for the V bit Monday

Forgot I made a video a few years ago on turning a bench leg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972