Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skew chisel instruction?

Skew chisel instruction?

I can't even begin to use a skew chisel. I know nothing about angles and approaches and lathe speed and all of the other etceteras. I think I would do well to learn for the outside of my communion chalices.

Can anyone recommend a video or written description or book to start with? There are a lot of videos on You Tube, and I would prefer to start with the best technique teaching to practice.

I would love your tips too.

Thanks in advance.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, this is a recurring question - check this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...mos-on-the-web

And, this one - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...actice-session

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Here are some others later than the other threads.

The first two are mainly problems.
    Richard Raffan - only about the first 1/2 is the skew.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 08-27-2015 at 8:07 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I didn't know it was one video per post.
    Here is one by Brenden which is part one of two.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 08-27-2015 at 8:08 PM.

Here is the last by Alan Batty.

Here is one by Alan Batty. While much is showing pommels it is still skew work and clearly presented.

Michaels picks are probably the best skew videos available online. Don't forget Alan Lacer's two DVDs.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Make sure your ego is healthy and you have a good first aid kit.

Most turners are terrified of the skew, including me! I watched all those videos and guess what? Yup... you guessed it!
    There is nothing like practice. John Lucas's "skew practice" video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA91yJ9KhKU) should be included in any list.
    Watch it and then do what he shows you. It's very basic. Practice a bit and you will get a feel for it.
    This is a timely subject for me because I just had my first successful outing using the skew for a very unorthodox task. I'm working on a hollow form
    from some very punky spalted maple on which no tool would produce a clean surface except... The Skew... AHHHH!
    David DeCristoforo

I don't use a skew much, but after years of learning to rub the bevel (the bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it.. unknown author), I can do that much, and generally do an okay job, but far from what I can do with bowl gouges. Alan Batty was a master. I do like John Lucas' approach to turning as well. I haven't watched the Alan Lacer clips though. I think the thing I most have to work on them to learn is the sharpening. I don't hone my bowl gouges. Eli Avesera is interesting because he uses skews with a convex grind which is more user friendly. I have to watch his video clips as well. Yea, of course, 10,000 more times.....

robo hippy

I, too, was very afraid of using a skew. Then I made about 20 Magic Wands for my daughter's Harry Potter themed birthday event. Like any chisel, learn to ride the bevel, and with a skew I stay way above center. I think of it as a freehand pencil sharpener. I used it angled, and shaving lightly as the wood comes to it. If you're on the bevel, no cutting can occur until the edge grazes the wood. Try it with the lathe off, and hand turn the wood to see how it cuts. If the edge gets too low to center - IT WILL CATCH, and get thrown down, so keep the tool rest very close to the workpiece. Practice on spindles, and watch the Raffan video. He's the master of skews.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Adding to the suggestions already made, check out Brian Haven's excellent series of videos on using the skew. Start with "Peeling Cut with a Skew" and go from there. His other videos on making cuts using other tools are also worth watching. Here's a link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BHavensWoodworker/videos
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

This may be obvious but it took awhile to dawn on me. I got better at the skew (and other tools as well) by turning my lathe dead slow and thereby taking the energy out of the system. Running slow you have to move slow of course but you can feel what is happening and feel a potential error as it is happening. This allowed me to watch a video from Raffen or Lacer and then try, fail, watch and so forth without scaring myself, ruining my work or otherwise simply giving up. That trick of turning the lathe speed way down to try stuff has been huge for me.

Also, I started sharpening skews like woodcarving tools and demanding the sharpness I would ask my woodcarving knives to be at and that improved things a lot. I had the opportunity to see a day long demo with Lacer who is constantly honing his skew on a pocket diamond hone. I also shaped the edge in the Lacer (and others) fashion. I will not try to describe completely it is a straight starting at the toe and then a curve to the heel. That was huge as well.

Finally, I got better by making myself do a ten minute skew practice every time I went to the shop. My neighbor plays violin in the Chicago Symphony. Every single day he plays scales for an hour before doing anything else. It seems that we do have to practice the basics every day.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Alan Batty's video on the skew is one of the best ever made imo.

For years I have been advocating setting the lathe to its slowest speed position and to use a ring drive centre when we teach using the skew'

When you are starting out with skew, learn & practice with a blank approx 1.5" (30mm) square and use a ring drive centre (a ring dead center) such as the one on the right at this link http://www.rockler.com/how-to/cleari...s-woodturning/. Set up the blank with dead center in the head stock and a live center in the tail stock as per normal.

The ring center will act as a clutch in the event of a bad catch and simply stall while the ring drive continues to rotate. No dramatic catches. By using the ring drive centre the student must learn to take light cuts with the skew other wise the blank will start to stall.

If you have variable speed lathe that goes down to 30 or 50 rpm set up a round spindle blank of about 1.5" (30mm) dia in the lathe then set say 50rpm speed and introduce the skew long point down in a vertical position then experiment by leaning the skew slightly left or right from the 12 o'clock position to 11.55 or 12:05 position. This will induce a "catch" and send the skew into the dreaded "spiral cut" but in slow motion which will allow you to see what is actually happening. Simply play around at slow speed to see what happens then gradually up the speed as you feel more confident.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 08-31-2015 at 5:48 AM.

Great ideas I would not have thought of.