Thread: Cocobolo

Cocobolo

I have a piece of Cocobolo that has been heavily coated in wax for 25+ years. It measures 8 1/2"x8 1/2"x2 3/4". It's very straight grained and would make a really nice bowl. One of the guys in the local turning club asked me what it's worth and I've had it for so many years I couldn't begin to tell him. Any rough ideas of it's value so I can see if he's interested?
    Chris

$112.55 is my guess.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That's pretty much in the neighborhood of what the dealers have responded with since I started searching this evening. I've gotten everything from $115 to $145. Thanks.
    Chris

That seem way too high if you compare it to the ones for sale here.. http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/order_cocobolo.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    That seem way too high if you compare it to the ones for sale here.. http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/order_cocobolo.htm
    They have a 3.2x8x8 that is almost the same number of cu in's for 112.50, so it's certainly in the price range.

Yup, just looked that up.

Had my Friday morning breakfast where a bunch of us woodworkers from furniture makers to turners, carvers and veneer artists sit and chew the fat. Took the hefty chunk to get some opinions. Out of 6 in attendance, 5 gave prices above $110. One suggested $95. But the highest of the 5 said $125. So I'm comfortable with telling my friend I'll let it go for $110. I think that's fair.

Thanks for your help.
    Chris

I wonder if these prices are accurate:

http://www.goosebaylumber.net/SpeciesSpecs/BowlBlanks.html

They're selling at around 25 cents per cubic inch, and you're selling at 55 cents per cubic inch.

Maybe I should drive up there, buy all the Cocobolo they've got, and sell it at a markup! I wonder if the price of Cocobolo in my area is really low. Just like the price of Mesquite is quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    They have a 3.2x8x8 that is almost the same number of cu in's for 112.50, so it's certainly in the price range.

Sorry....I misread some of the sizes!!!!

The last time I bought cocobolo, about 6 months ago, I think it was going for about $35-40 bd/ft.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Cocobolo is listed as CITES Appendix II since June 2013. It is becoming harder to get, and the price will continue to increase. Is your piece all heartwood, or does it also contain some sapwood?

Bell Forest sells an 8x8x3 for $99, but I doubt it is dry.

if I turned cocobollo, I would definitely pay more for something I could turn that is dry and didn't have to pay for shipping.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

Beware
    That stuff has a hard time drying if it's thicker than 2".

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Oily, too. I turned a huge piece earlier this year and really struggled with fisheye.