Thread: Shellac shelf life

Shellac shelf life

GOOD DAY, I am going to grain fill with shellac and was wondering if there is a shelf life for it. Mine is just over a year old. I have Zinsser Seal Coat:
    Thanks for the help!
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

Has the can ever been opened?

If no - I would expect OK. If not, hard to say.

Ether way - you would be wise to do some tests to see that it cures properly.

If this is a recurring issue, you can always buy flakes, and mix only what you need. The flakes last forever, as far as I can tell, if you keep them in the fridge or the freezer.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Shelf life on Seal Coat is 3 years. See the bottom of page 3.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Shellac "Born On" Date

I sent Zinsser/Rust-Oleum an e-mail asking about their shellac. This is their response...

The lot number that you have was manufactured May 17th, 2010.
    S05179 reads as follows, S-Somerset NJ.
    The first digit after the letter is the year of manufacture 0-2010.
    The second digit is the month 5-May. (O-October, N-November, D-December).
    The next 2 digits are the day of the month 17-17th day.
    The final digit is for our records, the batch was made on the 9th run of the day.
    Shellac has a 3 year shelf life.

Thanks guys for all the information. I think I will do a test to check how it cures just to be safe. Again, thank you so much !!
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

I've never had a can of SealCoat go bad before I used it all, once over two years. I've had two leakers though, one after only a few months, and have learned to set it in a plastic pail to prevent a mess when it next occurs. I still prefer it over buying flakes.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've never had a can of SealCoat go bad before I used it all, once over two years. I've had two leakers though, one after only a few months, and have learned to set it in a plastic pail to prevent a mess when it next occurs. I still prefer it over buying flakes.

John
    i

This seems to be due to the water that is inherent in the mix. I decant my shellac into glass or plastic containers. The cans are lined but sometimes fail. Zinsser has always replaced the cans for me by sending me a check.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn. I never thought to ask Zinsser for a refund. Next time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Has the can ever been opened?

...If this is a recurring issue, you can always buy flakes, and mix only what you need. The flakes last forever, as far as I can tell, if you keep them in the fridge or the freezer.
    Say, is this true?

I was away from serious w-working for about 8 years, and I have 6 oz of unopened flakes. still sitting in my fridge, for at least that long. Can I really still use them?

I have had opened dry flakes kept in my house, not in a refrigerator, still good after several years in Southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Say, is this true?

I was away from serious w-working for about 8 years, and I have 6 oz of unopened flakes. still sitting in my fridge, for at least that long. Can I really still use them?

I would.

Try on a test piece before you commit to valuable work piece, but I don't see why not.

Some of mine has been there nearly as long........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I would TESt on scraps before you plunge in..Let it dry to see reults.
    Jerry

I don't know about the canned stuff, but flakes & everclear should last about 5-6 months if you keep it out of the sun.

Blog Entries
    I just re-opened a can of Sealcoat and tested it prior to use on a smal piece. It had gone bad (the can leaked after opening as well). Test, then use.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"