Thread: Swat

Blog Entries

Swat

Wasn't able to attend swat this year was wondering what those attending thought of the event?
    demonstrators and venders

Attendance was down a few dozen, but the number of vendors set a record. There were over 200 Beads of Courage boxes donated and I believe the number of pieces in the instant gallery set a record as well. Stuart Batty and Jimmy Clewes were doing demos in two different booths. I don't generally go to many demos but Derek Weidman is always fun to watch and Ed Kelle's demo on surface texturing was very interesting.

Food was top notch and the donated pieces for the raffle (both turned items and tools) were very nice.

So it was very similar to last year + more vendors and turnings to look at. I had a good time reconnecting with my turning friends and can't wait for next year.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

This year's SWAT was the first turning symposium I've attended, so I have no reference points for comparison other than my own expectations, which were set quite high based on what I'd heard from my fellow club members. Overall, SWAT lived up to its reputation.

Most of the demos I saw were good, although a couple of them weren't titled well (the title didn't necessarily fit the content).

The impressive array of vendors underscored the advice given by some of the seasoned SWATers in my club: "Bring lots of money!" I could have spent far more, but saving for a new lathe kept my buying in line. Speaking of lathes, my biggest surprise wasn't what vendors were there, but what vendors weren't there. As popular as Powermatic's lathes are, I expected to see a PowerMatic booth with a couple of lathes on display. The only way a curious PM prospect could see a PM lathe up close was sitting on the front row in some of the demos.

I was also surprised that Laguna's newer Revo lathe line wasn't represented at all. It's pretty obvious that a couple of the current models are targeted toward the Powermatic audience, but until that crowd can put their hands on one and see it in action, attracting buyers will be a challenge. Were the timing a little different I might have been there with a fistful of money looking to make a deal on a lathe.Other than Robust and Rikon, there weren't any full size lathes on display.

Overall, I'd give SWAT a score of eight on a scale of ten. It was a great weekend, and I will be back!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

To be honest - I've not seen many lathe vendors at SWAT for this year and the past 3 years that I've been.

Robust has been there each year and had several lathes in their booth and in the demo rooms.

You see VicMarc lathes there because Woodworker's Emporium sells them and brings them for their booth.

Stubby (or not Stubby, but now Praxis - or something like that) had a lathe there.

OneWay brought a new 2436 (that was going home with a friend of mine)

There was a Powermatic 3520B in the hands-on area that you could have taken for a test drive. It was slightly camouflaged because it was the black anniversary model, not the regular "mustard" color. They also had a Jet 1642 in the hands-on area.

Don Ward had several minis in the pen making area that you could have tried.

I'm reasonably familiar with the 3520B, as my club has one and come Black Friday I'll probably own one too. I did take the opportunity to look at the one in the hands-on area one morning, specifically to see how the "Down 'n Out" tailstock swing felt in a real installation (I liked it, though not as much as I like Robust's design). I already have a midi (Jet 1221VS) and am looking at full-size lathes now, so the minis aren't much interest at the moment.

The argument could be made that Powermatic didn't need a presence because it pretty much owns its segment of the lathe market, but if I were selling Laguna, I'd sure want to have a presence at SWAT. With Laguna's 20-36 and 24-36 targeting Powermatic's audience, there's nothing quite like putting one where 800+ woodturners can put their hands on it--and offering a good show special--to boost market share. A couple good people with a couple of lathes and a good show special could have sold a few to potential Powermatic owners.

But of course, if I were selling Laguna, they'd have more than a one year warranty (or I wouldn't sell 'em). In a market where your target competitor has a 5 year warranty and established product record, a one-year warranty doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

On a related note, The first thing I noticed about the Rikon booth was how well stocked it was on Friday morning. Sunday afternoon I heard that the Rikon booth sold out. Not bad.

D.

I shaved my head.

there was a Rikon booth? I must have missed that completely.

Dan --
    The Robust tail stock swing away is no longer available for the PM. I like the swing away design better than the Robust on I have. If you do buy a 3520B I'll swap you my Robust for your swingaway.

I'm not familiar with the Robust swingaway for the Powermatic.

Does it function like the JT Turning Tools "down n out": http://www.jtturningtools.com/tailstockmanager

or like the "tailstock butler" http://www.toolnut.com/Butler_Turnin...ing%20away.htm

can you post a photo?

I've got a home-made "down-n-out" style. Works great, but I really like how Robust does it on their American Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post

On a related note, The first thing I noticed about the Rikon booth was how well stocked it was on Friday morning. Sunday afternoon I heard that the Rikon booth sold out. Not bad.

D.
    There was no "Rikon booth" at SWAT. Wood World of Texas (http://www.woodworldtx.com/) was showing/selling Rikon products. - John

Shawn-
    The robust tail stock fixture is properly called a Tilt away. The one they used to make for the PM is nearly identical the S 16 shown here: http://www.turnrobust.com/product/sweet-16-2/. It is no longer available for the PM

This thread seems to have drifted off SWAT. I enjoyed SWAT and seeing a lot of friends made over the past 8 or 9 years attending. There were a lot of vendors with some local woods and also from both coasts - quite a selection and pretty good pricing. I was glad to see the little Rikon 1221 lathe and check it out compared to my little Nova Comet II, and would like to have chance some time to turn on one. I did see some "swing away" for Powermatic 3520 available, but today saw that Powermatic has now released a "tilt away" for the 3520 size available at Woodcraft - in mustard yellow and price in line with others.

The Instant Gallery at SWAT always has a lot of inspiring pieces. I take some of my odder pieces for display knowing they are not "top quality" like many there, but hopefully give others ideas of things to try. I know that I take photos to come home and try some of the forms.

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    There was no "Rikon booth" at SWAT. Wood World of Texas (http://www.woodworldtx.com/) was showing/selling Rikon products. - John

There was an awful lot of Rikon product there on Friday morning and I heard more than one attendee through the weekend refer to the "Rikon booth."

I sit corrected.

D.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    Shawn-
    The robust tail stock fixture is properly called a Tilt away. The one they used to make for the PM is nearly identical the S 16 shown here: http://www.turnrobust.com/product/sweet-16-2/. It is no longer available for the PM
    thank you, that is a very interesting accessory. I like that it allows use of the extend bed - where the "down n out" style does not.

too bad they don't make it any more.

This was my first year to attend SWAT. My local club used their "scholarship" on me. I must say that I was truly impressed. And now that I'm back to reality, I'm nearly broke

There was a large number of vendors of wood, tools, equipment, and ancillary items. There were quite a few great pieces in the Instant Gallery; there were great pieces and tools in the 2 for 1 drawing.

And yes, there were an awful lot of Rikon tools at the Wood World of Texas Dallas booth (a new slow speed grinder came home with me from their booth). They also had great prices on the Wolverine jig and Vari-Grind.

I dont recall Powermatic ever attending SWAT, maybe in someones booth.
    Laguna attended a few times, but not in recent years. They don't attend the AAW Symposium either anymore.

Sitting in a vendor both the whole weekend, I don't get to see any demos, so I cant comment on those. Rikon is always present in the Woodworld booth, as well as Tend. That is where Jimmy Clewes was demoing.
    Stuart Batty was demoing in the Woodworkers Emporium booth.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD