Thread: Best adhesive for crack in hand drill handle

Best adhesive for crack in hand drill handle

I am restoring a Millers Falls no. 5, and I discovered a hairline crack in the handle near the ferrule that I didn't notice when I bought it. It looks stable, but I would like to stabilize it. I am planning on a full sand and refinish on the handle. Would I be better off with a thin CA glue or an epoxy?

I would think that the thin CA would do. Maybe a couple applications to fill the gap.
    Just don't glue it to the pivot.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Bill said.

My opinion would have been different before seeing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCM...s_digest-vrecs

I used to mix some sawdust from the same or similar species of wood with epoxy and use it to patch cracks. The method in the video may actually work better. Cram some sawdust into the crack and then apply the CA.

On the #2 Millers Falls drills the handle is threaded onto the iron part. To make it a bit tighter or not wiggle as much a thin shaving was wrapped around the iron threads before remounting the handle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a great tip. Thank you Jim for posting that video.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    For playing Flamenco guitar and other fingerstyle techniques I build/repair fingernails out of super glue and thin fiberglass cloth, baking soda, and/or toilet paper... Whatever I happen to be able to find.

I would also use CA glue as long as the crack is tight, but if not then I would use thickened epoxy to fill it. Use a lighter wood flour because it will turn darker when wet with glue. Pine turns orange. Mahogany turns brown. Teak turns dark chocolate.

Thanks, everyone. I'll hit it with some fine grit sandpaper to generate some fine sawdust, then use some CA. Is there a preferred brand of CA? I was looking at Hot Stuff Thin Instant CA Glue, but I am open to suggestions if there's a better glue for my purpose. I haven't used CA in my woodworking before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    On the #2 Millers Falls drills the handle is threaded onto the iron part. To make it a bit tighter or not wiggle as much a thin shaving was wrapped around the iron threads before remounting the handle.
    I imagine a little wrap of teflon tape would also tighten things up.

Blog Entries
    Hot stuff is a good choice.

If I wanted strong wood reinforcement, I would use wood filler epoxy something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8257-KwikWood-Repair/dp/B002NJDAJY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440811578&sr=8-4&keywords=epoxy+wood+filler

Epoxy putty is stronger than CA and is formulated as a gap filling material.