Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building Permit to build a DOG HOUSE?????

Building Permit to build a DOG HOUSE?????

I was told this by my Town Clerk today, that if a Dog House exceeds a certain size, it would require a BUILDING PERMIT!!!! Any truth to that???

That type of requirement would almost certainly come from a local ordinance, so it is unlikely that anyone outside your town would be able to give you any advice. I'd start by looking at your town's or township's website for local codes, or go to your public library. The town clerk might be wrong, but it seems like something he or she ought to be well-versed in. Hard to imagine why they'd require a permit for a doghouse other than to generate permit fees, unless you are putting in gas or electric for heat or running water so your dog can refresh its own water bowl.

I imagine the code says that any structure bigger than some size requires a permit. You can bet someone will want to build a garage (or mother-in-law quarters) and call it a doghouse.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A dog house would probably be classified the same as a shed or accessory structure. It is common that sheds/accessory structures over 120 square feet require a building permit. Not all cities have the same size limits so check with your town.

I agree. I would check with someone else in town hall to see what the square footage requirement is. Myself, I would just go ahead and build the dog house. Where I live anything under 144 square feet does not need a permit.

Red
    RED

Another consideration is if it's movable, or on a foundation.

I have a 1600 sq ft dog house I'm always in

I have a 1600 sq ft dog house I'm always in
    - You too eh?

RE: OP - yeah, things like that are common.
    Check you local codes & also check your HOA if that applies.

The HOA can be a real pain about things like that.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Building codes and most all permits are revenue sources.
    The insurance companies are the ones who should be inspecting, not the government.

In my area you can't even build a 4x4 pumphouse without a permit.

Just another example why we are not the home of the free anymore.

The town Building Inspector or Building Commissioner, along with the town zoning by-laws would fully spell out what triggers a permit, setback distances from front, rear and side lines, building height and what form of documents/engineering are needed for any structure... be it habitable or not, or as an accessory structure, or whether it will have electricity, water, heat, septic etc. It's all in the municipal by-laws. In our town, an accessory structure (shed) with no services can be built as close to the lot line as the shed's height, not exceeding 120 ft. sq. in size, and the permit can be had for a $10 fee and only a sketch drawn by the homeowner showing size and location/offsets. It can be on piers or blocks, but requires an inspection and proof of offset distances before a Certificate of Compliance is rendered. Contrast all of that with a structure that requires a minimum of engineered documents, septic permit, electrical permit, municipal water connection permit, frost proof (or seismic) foundation, numerous inspections for additional fees, etc, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I imagine the code says that any structure bigger than some size requires a permit. You can bet someone will want to build a garage (or mother-in-law quarters) and call it a doghouse.

Mike
    Bingo. Another rule put in place to use in case of knuckleheads.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

building permits are there for revenue, As probably stated also to protect us from unscrupulous contractors and homeowners who will cut corners .have a good example The state Attorney General build a large pole barn which requires minimal building permit and then proceeded to build a house inside the barn without a permit. This is a fine example of our government at work
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

If a pole barn is an acceptable structure for a particular location, what difference does it make what is inside? I have an acquaintance who built a house inside half of a giant military surplus quonset hut. The other half was where he kept his tractor and farm implements.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-29-2015 at 10:53 AM.

House generally require permits. Accessory structures and houses often have different requirements for setbacks and so on.

As stated before, building permits are a protection against shoddy contractors. They also are a protection against unqualified homeowners metaphorically shooting themselves in the foot because of a lack of knowledge and/or construction and design skills. Remember that not everyone understands proper building technique or has the skills to execute. Competent building inspectors often find structural deficiencies and electrical and plumbing defects are even more common. As a layman, try reading the electrical code some time. 'Nuf said.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH