Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track saw vs. track saw systems

Track saw vs. track saw systems

Just bought my Domino and can cross that off the list. Now to research my next purchase, a track saw or , for lack of better name, a track saw "system" such as the EZ Smart or True-Trac. Don't really have the room to rip full size plywood in my little shop so now do it in an open bay with my DeWalt cordless saw (which I like, especially the blade side) and a clamped straight edge. It works okay, but would eventually like something better. For those of you with a track saw or other tell me your experiences. Would you purchase the same system again? Do you like it? Etc?

I have researched the EZ and it is cheaper than Festool , but I do question using a 75.00+- circular saw to get as good results as the festool saw. You generally get what you pay for in tools. But I have to admit , if I had seen the EZ system when I bought my festool, I'd have been hard pressed to justify the festool .
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I have the EZSmart system. I mounted my old Craftsman 7 1/4 saw with a $20 Freud 60 tooth blade and it does a fine job of cutting ply. Th blade is thin, like only 1/16" kerf. I am satisfied with the system and would buy again. I do not need the plunge feature of the more expensive systems. The track is heavy and when I join two sections for ripping a sheet of ply I find I have no issues. I think it is because of the three piece joining system.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I got the DeWalt saw and track for $310. My friend has the Makita. They both work fine. I have never used a Festool track saw.

EZsmart is all you need if you can cut outside or in the garage. Festools biggest advantage is probably integrated dust collection. Ezsmart edge guide is really nice and easy, no need for any tracks to quickly dimension plywood.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...01&cat=51&ap=1

I bought a TS 75 because I also use it to straightline rough lumber as well as sheet goods. The ts55 can do any sheet goods and is less expensive but will struggle with anything over 8/4 IMO. Yes, Festool is great with dust collection BUT, I don't even use it on the tracksaw. With the rubber piece on the track, and the splinterguard on the saw, I cut plywood with no tearout. I do this for a living so I feel the expense of the Festool was justified. Had I been a hobby woodworker, I'm not sure.

If you veneer over plywood anyway, a good circ saw and a straightedge will do the same job. If tearout matters, I'd buy the Festool.

~8 years ago got the EZ system to install but my saw wasn't compatible with it so ended up buying the Festool saw that came with a 40" track. The two systems are somewhat compatible so I use the EZ track with the Festool saw and Festool router (which has a guide that runs on the track).

My power tools seem to last forever and there is some extra, sometimes a lot of extra pleasure and joy in using a really well crafted and designed tool. The Festool ATF55 I use is one of those tools, it quieter, smoother, lots less dust, feels better, looks better. For me the extra costs spread over the years I'll own it was worth whatever that cost was, which I can't even remember now.

I bought the Festool TS-55 and have been very satisfied. No experience with the EZ system.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The issue I would have with the systems that use a circular saw is the circular saw. I used one (a Milwaukee) for decades but despite trying multiple and finer toothed blades, the cut quality was never the same as my DeWalt track saw. Dust collection is also non-existant on my Milwaukee and very good on my DeWalt. The edge guide of my home made guides used with the Milwaukee would always get chewed up with use. The DeWalt doesn't. I think it's a difference in the arbor bearings. Loosing the edge lining up with the cut eliminates the ability to lay the guide on the cut marks and make the cut. That's a key feature of the track saw.

I like my DeWalt and would buy it again. Other ones to consider are the Makita and possibly the Grizzly and Triton. I've seen one favorable review on the Triton, it may be up there with the DeWalt and Makita. The main advantage of the Festool is the accessories and the integration. I had to make my own parallel guides for the DeWalt, there are at least 4 makers of such guides for the Festool. DeWalt makes a router guide for their tracks but I don't think any of the other manufacturers do (except Festool). For a hobbiest, I think it is totally rational to spend roughly half the Festool price and spend a little time and money making the jigs you need. If you are making money with your tools and making jigs takes away from your income, it is probably worthwhile just to get a Festool. A hobbiest with the cash and/or wanting the integration could also make a rational decision to get the Festool. But the reviews I've seen suggest the Makita and DeWalt are right up there with the Festool in cut quality and dust extraction ad capability. The Grizzly needs a better blade and probably a different plunge spring. There is no long track for it so you have to join tracks (which many do anyway). I think it's a solid notch down from the others in fit/finish and possibly in capability. But it is another solid notch down on price too. You could probably get the Grizzly for less than the tracks you use with a circular saw. I would want the Grizzly any day versus a circular saw on a nice track.

Festool tools all have cases with the same cross section that can be fastened together for transportation. They all have removable power cords that are interchangeable. The tool cases can be stacked on the shop vacuums (which have wheels) for transportation. Most of the Festool tools have industry leading dust collection. That kind of stuff is what I'm referring to as integration. I think it, again, is more important for people who use their tools to make a living. Mine mostly stay in the shop.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 08-29-2015 at 2:37 PM.

i have the ez smart system since 2008 it works great. they use to have a dust collection mod, i have it and it works pretty good. it would work better if the side of the saw was covered like the festool or dewalt. i played around with the idea and placed a piece of card board over the opening next to the blade, it greatly increased the dust collection. ez smart maybe have the advantage as far as accessories go (to include some router stuff). with the ez smart you will not be able to cut the max depth of the saw because of the track, festool has factored that in with their system. i use a makatia 7 1/4" and on the track it is not capable of cutting 8/4 lumber in a single pass. guess i could remedy this buy getting a bigger saw and new mounting plate, but thats not what i use the track system for. i once saw a 16" circular saw on the ez smart track system. just about any saw will work with the ez smart while festool only gives you a choice of two.

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep them coming!

I see that Rockler has the Triton on sale for $279 but no track. Haven't read as much about it as the others, but the price is attractive. Don't know how long that price is in effect though.

Personally I would say go for the Makita track saw. Amazon has it with 55 inch rail for $414 with prime shipping. It has the second most powerful motor (1800w) of any of the track saws mentioned behind the Festool TS75 (which I own).

That Triton will need a rail, Rockler charges shipping, so you haven't really saved much money for a less powerful saw.

I just looked up the Grizzly and for $300 or so you can have the saw, 2 55" tracks and the clamps. Doesn't get great reviews, but price is good. Would like to hear from users of it. Are other blades available?

I have to ask: What problems are you having with your current setup? What is it failing to do that you need it to do?

I "get" the whole track saw schtick - I use a mickey-mouse version on occasion for breakdown, and I helped a friend assemble a system for ply - shelf units, etc: Saw Boss, 1/4" hardboard, aluminum bar stock for guide.

But the "official" systems -- still scratching my head.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.