Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaker style end table (part 2)

That came out really nice. The waterlox finish looks amazing... how did you apply it and how many coats?

My first time using Waterlox, so I got a lot of tips from SMC. I used the Original High Gloss Finish and wiped it on with the blue paper towels. It was thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits. I honestly lost count of the number of coats. Maybe 10 on the body and 15 on the top? Sanded it lightly with micro-mesh between each of the last few coats. One thing I found (that I think was mentioned on here) was that the finish worked best if it had a full day to dry between coats. For surface prep, all the surfaces were planed with a smoother, and not sanded.

Great job! While it looks awesome now, it'll really look spectacular in a few months after the cherry has darkened!

I really like the contrast from the three boards you used, better than had it all come from one. It will age but I think the relative difference in color will remain. Beautiful design and workmanship, definitely a case of less is more.

John