Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routing A Radius On An Outside Corner

Routing A Radius On An Outside Corner

I've build numerous table tops and always struggled trying to achieve a nice looking radius on the outside corners. I finally broke down and purchased a jig thinking this would solve my problems.
    Router jig.jpg

I used the supplied screws and fastened the jig to the underside of the workpiece. All 4 corners ended up with less than perfect radii and required sanding to make the corner - edge transition smooth.

Has anyone used one of these jigs before. It seemed like the perfect solution but left a bit to be desired. What am I doing wrong?

You say you "ended up with less than perfect radii." What exactly was wrong with them? Are you trying to hog off all the waste with the router? What kind of bit are you using?

Years ago I made some templates similar to the ones in your photo except larger and without the tabs for screws. I just clamp them, and route but never had an issue with non-perfect corners. As Dave mentioned, maybe it's your bit selection or the hogging of material??

I typically used flush trim bits with bearing either on top or bottom depending on the project.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parent View Post
    Years ago I made some templates similar to the ones in your photo except larger and without the tabs for screws. I just clamp them, and route but never had an issue with non-perfect corners. As Dave mentioned, maybe it's your bit selection or the hogging of material??

I typically used flush trim bits with bearing either on top or bottom depending on the project.

Robert

Ditto. I use 1/2" ply or MDF with a 1/2" X 1/2" pattern bit. I use a larger piece so I can clamp the pattern in place thus no screw holes.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-30-2015 at 8:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    When routing around the four corners of a piece of wood, two of the four corners will tear out if you don't climb cut. Conventional cutting will lift the grain or the cutting edge will hit the grain end on and the grain will shatter instead of cutting. When climb cutting you need to take light cuts and have a good grip on the router or work piece to prevent self feeding. The result of climb cutting will be a much smoother finish on the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

+1 I use a foot square piece of 3/4 birch ply, clamped, and a top bearing pattern bit.

I got a flush trim bit with top and bottom bearings so that I could cut from either side of the table top to prevent tear out.

I just use the sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I just use the sander.
    Me, too. Sander and my eye. If it looks good, I'm good with it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm using a 1/2" flush trim bit. The problem I ran into on all 4 corners was that the bit was cutting into the edge of the top past where the radius ended. It wasn't a lot but required getting a sander out and feathering in the depression.

Blog Entries
    A good fine rasp.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    When routing around the four corners of a piece of wood, two of the four corners will tear out if you don't climb cut. Conventional cutting will lift the grain or the cutting edge will hit the grain end on and the grain will shatter instead of cutting. When climb cutting you need to take light cuts and have a good grip on the router or work piece to prevent self feeding. The result of climb cutting will be a much smoother finish on the cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    A good fine rasp.

Both of these are my suggestion. Depends on the situation.

Most often, though, I'm with Brian after whacking the corner with a handsaw. Then the rasp, and then sandpaper and cork block.

Lee did a very good job of describing this situation and routers and climb cutting. FWIW - you need to know this when you are using a router and a circle jig for a round table top [say, a tabouret] - you have to do it in quarters, climb cutting your way through the grain pattern.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    +1 I use a foot square piece of 3/4 birch ply, clamped, and a top bearing pattern bit.
    This is what Ive always done. Make one good template, make it so you have plenty of reference edge to lead into and out of the corner, no problem.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I'm a big router guy; I use them for many tasks. But for this, I generally just draw the radius on the wood, roughly remove some of the waste with a handsaw, and then get out the belt sander. This is good use for a belt sander. You can cut nicely to the line, and fair the curve smoothly to the straight edges. And if you're a sixteenth off, but the curve fairs smoothly, nobody will ever notice.

I would suggest that for your templates, you should screw on short cleats to the side you intend to use, so that it sits atop your work piece, hooking over the edge, and then running your pattern bit across the corner. Woodpeckers came out with a very nice machined aluminum set of these a while back, way too expensive for me, but if you did a lot of them, they might be worth it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.