Thread: Oil stone box construction

Blog Entries

Oil stone box construction

I need to make boxed for several different stones, and was planing on doing a simple frame and panel construction maybe with some decorative veneer in the top panel. I decided just to look it up just now and it seems 99% of boxes I can find online are made from two solid pieces. both are simply enough, but I was just wondering if there is any issue with wood movement on a solid box? some of the stones are ceramic stones and others the dual-stones and a set of diamond plates... all used with slightly soapy water, so I would think a frame and panel would be more stable that a solid piece? I'll be using mahogany for most of them.

I've made a number of boxes for stones, all from kiln dried cherry. No issues, except for waterstones, which took on moisture ans swelled. Mine were all one piece.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony, that is why I'm asking. about half of these boxes will hold stones that are used with water.

Blog Entries
    I decided just to look it up just now and it seems 99% of boxes I can find online are made from two solid pieces. both are simply enough, but I was just wondering if there is any issue with wood movement on a solid box?
    Boxes for stones are used with oilstones from my experience. Mine do not have tops. They were made by cutting mortises into hunks of wood.

Plastic would likely be better for water stones.

Wood would likely have a lot of problems with storage of wet water stones. Wet oil stones may cause the wood to soak up oil, but that doesn't cause the problems water causes with wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think I'd use Corian for the water stone boxes. My oil stones that came from Smith's 40 years ago are in cedar boxes with separate pieces for the sides. Probably a third of the little side pieces have come off in that time, so one piece would definitely be better for those.

Blog Entries
    Hi Tom, where would one buy corian? Is it workable with hand tools?

Just curious, why go through the trouble of making boxes to store water stones?

Best kept in a water pond which can be as simple as a plastic storage box. Keep stones covered with water.

He didn't say they were water stones. Just ceramic stones and diamond stones used with soapy water.

Blog Entries
    Thanks George, indeed ceramic and diamond stones. I want boxs with lids because I sharpen at the bench and we have several benches at work. I will move the stones to wherever I need them. Since it's not a privet shop only I also want to keep the stones protected when not in use. The idea is to have the two ceramic stones side by side in one box just for example. I'm thinking maybe I'll make the base from one piece Baltic ply (which I know is not harmed by water) and do mahogany edgings and a mahogany lid. Maybe some ca glue in the mortise to minimize water absorbtion

Matthew,
    Corian comes in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness. I am not aware of other sizes (probably easy to find out). It is easy (but smelly) to rout a mortice for the stones. Wooden boxes can be waterproofed with epoxy.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Just curious, why go through the trouble of making boxes to store water stones?

Best kept in a water pond which can be as simple as a plastic storage box. Keep stones covered with water.
    Find a local countertop fabricator and you'll probably be given all the sink cutouts you can carry! Locally, we have a large granite top fabricator and their dumpster area always has plenty of stuff for anyone to take for free.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.