Thread: Is Rams 2D software still in business.?

Is Rams 2D software still in business.?

I do not get any response from their email tech support.

Blog Entries
    That webpage is from the 80's

I see very little detail on what the program can do, and nothing on the actual program itself (no try-it versions to download, etc.). Is this something you already own? If not, I'm not sure what the real draw to it is...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That webpage is from the 80's

I see very little detail on what the program can do, and nothing on the actual program itself (no try-it versions to download, etc.). Is this something you already own? If not, I'm not sure what the real draw to it is...
    Yes, I bought it years ago to generate G code for my Sherline CNC. It had a software dongle and over the years would quit recognizing it occasionally. I would have to get their tech support to issue a new license key.

I am looking at Artcam Express to replace it. I have the Demo and find it to be 10 times the program RAM's
    was.

Yes . That is the site. None of the emails answer back. So I assume they are gone.

If you are interested in Artcam then have a look at Vectric
    www.vectric.com

Awesome software,affordable and very, very good support both from Vectric themselves and from there very loyal user base.
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    If you are interested in Artcam then have a look at Vectric
    www.vectric.com

Awesome software,affordable and very, very good support both from Vectric themselves and from there very loyal user base.
    The Vectric does look impressive. Thanks for the link.

I used to use artcam but I have switched to vectric aspire. I teach middle schoolers how to use aspire to make simple CNC v-carved signs but I use the 2.5d tools to model and compose beautiful signage and furniture. The latest release of aspire has eclipsed all the features I used in artcam and I'm glad to put that pig to rest.

The best feature of aspire is the cohesive interface with all their tools. Artcam seemed like a jumble of mishmashed scripts with a Internet explorer front end. Often the scripts would crash and bring down the whole program without saving your project.

One of my biggest complaints on artcam was the round about method you would have to use to move reliefs. Aspire nailed it. You can make multiple relief "objects" on each layer and move them easily by clicking and moving with the mouse. You can't do that in artcam.

Last time I looked artcam express was a super stripped down version that required a lot of expensive modules to gain functionality that just about everybody would use. $2000 seems lie a lot for aspire until you add up all the modules you would need to purchase to for artcam express. Last version of artcam I used needed a dongle..... I will say no more.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

9. Quote Originally Posted by David Watson2 View Post
    The Vectric does look impressive. Thanks for the link.
    I have Vectric Aspire and love it too. Not cheap, I lucked out and got it bundled with CNC I bought, but it is a very good program. They have a couple of different levels of software depending on what you need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Corwin View Post
    I used to use artcam but I have switched to vectric aspire. I teach middle schoolers how to use aspire to make simple CNC v-carved signs but I use the 2.5d tools to model and compose beautiful signage and furniture. The latest release of aspire has eclipsed all the features I used in artcam and I'm glad to put that pig to rest.

The best feature of aspire is the cohesive interface with all their tools. Artcam seemed like a jumble of mishmashed scripts with a Internet explorer front end. Often the scripts would crash and bring down the whole program without saving your project.

One of my biggest complaints on artcam was the round about method you would have to use to move reliefs. Aspire nailed it. You can make multiple relief "objects" on each layer and move them easily by clicking and moving with the mouse. You can't do that in artcam.

Last time I looked artcam express was a super stripped down version that required a lot of expensive modules to gain functionality that just about everybody would use. $2000 seems lie a lot for aspire until you add up all the modules you would need to purchase to for artcam express. Last version of artcam I used needed a dongle..... I will say no more.
    I have not committed to either yet. The one feature that attracted me to Artcam was the output for a Laser. The output allows compensation for beam size. I wanted this to help with some accurate laser work such as circuit boards. Is there such a feature in Vectric ?

If you are talking offset to the cut line then yes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Watson2 View Post
    I have not committed to either yet. The one feature that attracted me to Artcam was the output for a Laser. The output allows compensation for beam size. I wanted this to help with some accurate laser work such as circuit boards. Is there such a feature in Vectric ?
    You're not planning on trying to cut the copper of fiberglass with a CO2 laser, are you? If so, you're in for a world of disappointment.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    You're not planning on trying to cut the copper of fiberglass with a CO2 laser, are you? If so, you're in for a world of disappointment.
    No. I would like to see the burn the paint away and etch work out. Have not found the right paint that will completely burn away yet. And then there is the software issue that does not compensate for the beam thickness.

Wouldn't beam thickness be just a simple offset vector? If so, aspire does that.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube