Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could You Make This Rocking Chair?

Could You Make This Rocking Chair?

I can't find who makes this rocking chair but I want one. So I'll probably have to make it but I have no idea where to start. How would you go about figuring out how to make this?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

You can take some approximate measurements from the picture. You know about how deep a seat has to be so that can get you started.

I'd make the wooden parts by laminate bending them. I might make the rockers a bit longer just to make sure it didn't go aver backwards when someone rocked into that position.

It's an interesting design.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Julie I think I found it at this website http://www.homedit.com/most-comfortable-lounge-chairs/ refers to it as the Stökke chair, which appears to be a European furniture company, but I can't get any further than that. IF link doesn't work, google "most comfortable rocking chair"

There are some angles there that would require a lot of R&D. Personally, I'd rather buy the chair and enjoy it, though considering how hard it is to find where to buy it, I'd probably take it apart and make templates so I could duplicate it.

Stan, I ran into the same wall as you. And Googling "most comfortable rocking chair" only puts you into the circle of nowhere. Dalemackey Home Interior has it on their website but you still run into the same wall.

Maybe taking the image and pasting it into AutoCAD and drawing over it, I can get close. I did that with the Ric bass and it turned out pretty good. Those curves make me think the engineering can't be deviated from too far.

I found it. 2,600 smackers. My curse, champagne taste with a beer budget. Looks like Julie will have to put on her engineer hat.

http://www.ergodepot.com/Gravity_Balans_by_Varier_p/v233.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw04qvBRC6vfKG2Pi0_8gBEiQAAJq 0vaGTdz6WlOnem1OLi9OW4uSXo4YjPFjQK7IGTh_H5-AaAnp48P8HAQ

If you had a tubing bender & a medium sized press break and some rectangular steel tubing. Piece of cake...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Years ago, I tried to design a chair something like that. That chair appears to have three stable positions, and it might rock in one of those. Mine was just supposed to have three stable positions, but no rocking. I went through six prototypes before I gave up.
    There are challenges. The biggest is that you want the chair to tip nicely from position to position, so you have to get the pivots in exactly the right spot. If a pivot point is wrong, you can't move from one position to the next, or when you move you go past a stable point on to the next. The ease of pivoting depends on where you're sitting, so you must include some upholstery in the prototype. I did get one prototype that almost kinda-sorta worked for me, but didn't work at all for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    If you had a tubing bender & a medium sized press break and some rectangular steel tubing. Piece of cake...
    Sounds like I need to break out my conduit benders. Yes, even though I'm in the land of PVC conduit, I still kept them.

If not for two things, I'd want one too-cost too much, and not enough room for dogs. http://starbornhavanese.com/images/lapdogs.jpg

Looks like a job for Matthias Wandel!

I thought this one looked good for a sunny day beside the pool http://insidertipps.org/wp-content/u...-furniture.jpg
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Julie, a 2 minute Google search produced this 3D Model of your chair for $29. If you had the right software to open the model, you might be able to take measurements off of it.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...ity-max/340540

Holy Cow Julie, that chair looks like exactly what I need right now. The old bones are sore and the muscles are week. Assuming I could get in the chair, and rock it back, I think I could spend a week in it. If you do build this, please start a thread and keep us posted.

Strikes me you could lift proportions off with a set of dividers and a good photo. Would take some time and patience, but it could be done.
    Paul

Woah.

Overlooking the fact that it's probably not all that comfortable, (and how the heck do you get in-out of it?) I think I could probably make the frame, though it might require some special jigs for the steam bending. (A lot of work for just 2-3 chairs)

However, I have no idea how I'd make the seat and backrest. There must be solid wood inside, but some kind of structural foam on the outside? Plus, it looks like the wooden core is curved. Holy moley .....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-31-2015 at 8:33 PM.