Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

31 Aug 2015

Good Morning/Evening Everyone,
    Nothing for me to report on as I've been working the day job and oncall duty. I'm stuck here in the office right now working critical issues. I'll keep this short and sweet this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    In addition to the normal household chores, dog duties, etc… I spent half of the weekend working on my inlay practice piece (see Blog for details). Between time I helped LOML with her casting class preparation. I built a few Drag and cope casting frames for the class.

IMG_2364.jpgIMG_2361.jpgIMG_2365.jpg

It was hot here so there were frequent trips to the ocean to cool off.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Hey Shawn, just had to throw the comment in about heading to the beach to cool off.....yeah, us mid western folks don't have the luxury...lol. I do have a small lake out back but it's just not the same. You are not nice, lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Hey Shawn, just had to throw the comment in about heading to the beach to cool off.....yeah, us mid western folks don't have the luxury...lol. I do have a small lake out back but it's just not the same. You are not nice, lol
    Yes, I am a bad, bad man...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I was thrilled to have some time this weekend to work on my coffee table. I cut the mortises for the side aprons (pictured below) using a forsner bit and chisels, and did the corresponding honched tenons on the tablesaw. This gave me a chance to use the Wood River shoulder plane I picked up earlier this year from a fellow Creeker, which helped in getting a good fit.

ForumRunner_20150831_085120.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-31-2015 at 2:15 PM.

I actually had time for some woodworking this weekend. Shop was nice due to the weather. Started working on Christmas presents for this year. All end grain except the Chevron pattern.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I spent the last two weekends building a ramp/deck for my barn so that the lawnmower can drive up into it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

This weeked, I worked on the last little bit of this latest highboy. I used my period-correct laser level to lay out the holes for the pulls and got everything dry fit.

Apart from a few minor spots that need a shot of sanding, I think it's about ready for finish. I have a motorcycle excursion planned next weekend, so hopefully the following I'll be able to finish.

highboy3.jpghighboy4.jpghighboy1.jpghighboy2.jpg

Well I ended up patching a hole in my fiberglass pup bed..... It all started when I was dropping my "new" CL 60 gal air compressor off at my new shop. went through a gate with a big mud hole and was hugging the post on the passenger side. And then I really hugged it. Put a fist size hole in my step side fender, but this truck is made to use and not a show piece so I wasn't just horrified. Got a fiberglass kit and some bondo and we're almost as good as new. I also managed to get my rotary phase convertor wired in, and finally all the kinks out today.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Baked a cheesecake, made beef stroganof for Satuday night supper with FIL. He will be 95 tomorrow. Almost got engine out of the Honda my gand son is fixing up. Went to nephew's 60th birthday party.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    Brett, beautiful work on that highboy! Is this type of piece something of a specialty for you? Judging by this photo and the one in your profile pic, it appears this isn't an introductory project for you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Brett, beautiful work on that highboy! Is this type of piece something of a specialty for you? Judging by this photo and the one in your profile pic, it appears this isn't an introductory project for you
    Thanks Mike. I generally do build colonial style pieces. This one is a "commission" for my parent's home.