Thread: Moulding/ Joinery Plane storage

Moulding/ Joinery Plane storage

Does anyone have clever ideas for storing wooden Moulding/Joinery planes under a bench? They are piling up and I need a solution. Thanks guys.

Cody, I would not store planes under a bench as it gets filled with shavings and saw dust. I store mine in a wall cabinet.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    It will be in a Shaker style base before to long hopefully.

I've seen guys hand them by the front knobs.

I keep mine in till in a cabinet. Easier than reaching down and looking......

Make the drawer deep enough that they can be stored sitting on end. That way you can scan the cutting profiles without handling them.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Cody are you attached to Whiteman AFB? I was there in 1969. I am sure Knob Noster has changed a lot in the last 46 years. Great places around there to go fishing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    Does anyone have clever ideas for storing wooden Moulding/Joinery planes under a bench? They are piling up and I need a solution. Thanks guys.
    Do you plan on making drawers or cabinet doors for access?

My molding and joinery planes are stored on shelves. Just recently a new shelf had to be added into an existing piece to add a bunch more hollows & rounds and other molding planes. There are still a few in boxes.

The problem with storing in a drawer is having to pull the drawer out to get to the planes in the back of the drawer. Maybe one could make a drawer that has a way to release the front and the dividers so they can all be tilted forward once the drawer is pulled out half way. Another possibility is to have drawers that can come all the way out and then tilt down a bit while still being held by the cabinet. That would allow better access to planes in the back of the drawer. As Chuck said, make the drawers deep so the planes can stand on end to show the profile.

If a cabinet base with doors is preferred, maybe the doors could be made with shelves so all the planes can be seen with the doors opened.

Just my brain playing with various possibilities.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am in the process of making a plane till (okay I am in the process of hoping that some day I will have some shop time to get back to working on a plane till that hasn't had any progress in 4 months). I am creating 3" wide cubicles intended for yet to be acquired molding planes, a few smoothers will likely fit these spaces as well. Dave Anderson has a nice till featured here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ane-Till-plans. Mine is not nearly that large, and is more in the style of a wall cabinet with doors where chisels are to be hung. I also plan on storing a few backsaws in the till. I guess that makes it more of a tool cabinet than a plane till.

Chuck,
    I am not in the military but have been here my whole life, there are some good fishing holes around.