2 tomatoes
    chopped cilantro
    juice of 1 fresh lemon
    salt
    pepper
    some squirts of hot sauce
    garlic powder

toss and enjoy!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Spectacular! And the turning is pretty nice as well. My initial though was a stack of bowls.

Very nice. The beads appear to be uniform. The guac looks good, too.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

NIce bowl Sean but how in the world will you keep it clean between the beads . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    NIce bowl Sean but how in the world will you keep it clean between the beads . . .
    Thanks, all. Soap and water - maybe a scrub brush. Hasn't come up with this salad bowl yet and we've used it plenty:

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

wow...that salad bowl is beautiful!

rookie question - you do that with a beading tool, or with a gouge? how 'bout sanding? Special tips? Or maybe just little folds of paper and lots of patience?

Quote Originally Posted by mike pockoski View Post
    wow...that salad bowl is beautiful!

rookie question - you do that with a beading tool, or with a gouge? how 'bout sanding? Special tips? Or maybe just little folds of paper and lots of patience?
    Thanks, Mike. I've done it both ways, but on this particular bowl I used a tool - I believe it was from Ashley Isles (Tools for Working Wood in Brooklyn carries them among others). Practice a bit with the tool to get proficient at it before putting it to a prize. It is essentially a scraper, so if the wood is a little green than can help. It will slightly tear out on the end grain. Sanding takes care of the tear out and polishes stuff up, but go through the grits and keep in mind the shape of the bead so that you don't flatten them or do other things to mess them up - be patient and us folded bits in the sides and so forth - just experiment a little and you will figure out how to sand them enough to erase tear out and polish but not deform.

I personally like hand formed ones because the valleys can be shallower, but still look dramatic and cool. For example, I made this apple pencil holder with my daughter for her teacher in like third grade. I had her use a pencil to mark where she wanted the beads and then I formed them. She sanded. It came out pretty cool I think.

Sean, nice bead work. (drooling as I type)

Thanks Sean! Very nice cup...what a great gift! will add beads to my to-learn list.

(My daughter and I made her preschool teacher a bowl last year...she sanded - (with much help and safety from me!) and applied the color (pink, of course) and helped with the friction polish. Fun times Came out surprisingly good for a 5 year old.