Thread: utility bowl question

utility bowl question

I've made several utility bowls and finish them with wax, oil or a mix of the two. When I first wash them the water raises the grain and they get 'fuzzy'. How do y'all keep that from happening?

Wet the bowl and re-sand prior to finishing. That also gets the dust out of the pores.

I'll do the same with cutting boards and utensils. Wet them down once or twice, sanding in between and hopefully that will take care of any fuzzies after that.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I do the same with all utility work; bowls, rolling pin, etc.
    Sand, wet, dry and sand again.

With very few woods do you ever get raised grain a 2nd time.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thanks guys! I figured that would do it, but wanted to ask first.

wax will put you in this cycle everytime, just isn't permanent.
    You can use several coats of Mahony oil or several coats of Salad bowl finish. Those will harden and seal the pores.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by steve worcester View Post
    wax will put you in this cycle everytime, just isn't permanent.
    You can use several coats of Mahony oil or several coats of Salad bowl finish. Those will harden and seal the pores.
    I've started using Mahoney's oil and about 20% beeswax after flooding the piece with same oil and letting it dry a bit. It is pricey, but I really like his WO.

I've played with the de-hairing process a bit and it works. The last piece I finished has been curing for a couple of weeks with the above finish. I wet it down good and after it dried sanded lightly with 320 grit and repeated the process. It is as smooth as it was before and no stubble after wetting again. I think this will be easier before I oil, but good to know I can do it after as well.