Thread: Cherry and Maple End Tables

Cherry and Maple End Tables

These are my first attempts at real furniture. Most of my dabbling has been in some form of cabinetry. My original plan was to build two simple cherry end tables with trapezoid tops to sit between our recliners. That evolved into a cabinet with drawers to keep all the junk in that inevitably clutters up the tables. Still a simple job.

Then I made the mistake of leaving one of my Shopnotes out and my wife comes across this article. http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/127/...om-tool-chest/

The rest as they say is history.
    Front and rear unfinished.JPGThe shadow box light is controlled using the knob on the faux drawer directly above.
    IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0819.JPGIMG_0829.JPGIMG_0822.JPGShadow box.JPG

Solid cherry - top, bottom, feet and trim. Birdseye maple veneer - sides, drawer fronts and shadow box. Birdseye maple (1/4") inlay - corners. Silver maple - drawer boxes. Cherry veneer plywood (1/4") - drawer bottoms.
    Finished with P&L 38.

Now on to the coffee table.

They look really charming, Kerry. Good job. I like that clever idea of using the drawer knob to control the light.

..And great job on the angled corners. They really make it.

Great job! That birdseye maple is quite striking! Well done!

Maple and cherry sure does look good together.For me the design does take some getting use to,I think they might be original and that make them great! I also like clipped corner furniture very challenging to make.The drawers look very strong.Thanks for sharing your work.

Great execution. I admire the boldness. Very neatly done.

Well done bold work. They look,to me, like something bought at an estate sale of a 1940s movie star. Glamorous.

Very, very nice!

Thank you all for the kind words! This was certainly the most challenging project I have ever taken on. I had to learn a ton of new skills with most of the knowledge coming from the great people at this site. Without you, I'm sure they wouldn't have turned out as well as they did.

Very striking. Did you say solid wood top? If so I'd be worried about it splitting with that picture frame construction.

John

John,
    Thank you for the comments. I'm not sure what you mean about the 'picture frame' construction. Are you referring to just the top (yes, it's solid cherry) and the way I edge framed it? This was the same method used in Shopnotes, so I am a bit concerned. As I said, this is my first endeavor into 'real' furniture and without an actual mentor available I have to rely on outside sources of knowledge. If I can't trust the 'experts' to learn from, what would you suggest?