Thread: Need finish suggestion

Need finish suggestion

I am currently building a flip top tool stand using birch faced 3/4 ply. Pretty much the same materials I used on my workbench and router cabinet. I used golden oak with satin wipe on poly on those 2 projects and have been satified with the outcome. I would like to use a different finish on the flip top tool stand for the experience of it and also to give it a good durable finish for shop use.

How about some suggestions on a good finish. Should I stain or not? Which finish coat and how many?

This being the final major shop addition, I hope to post a pictorial shop tour of my "small" corner of heaven when finished.

Thanks for anything you can offer.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 08-23-2005 at 9:42 PM.

Personally, I don't see much need for finishing shop equipment unless there is some unsupported wood that might "move" if moisture levels change too rapidly. Then I whip some shellac (which is the best water vapor barrier of the common finishes) on to both sides. So I would recommend using what you have on hand. There is just no "right" or "wrong'" on whether to stain, or to make all the shop furniture uniform or contrasting. Purely personal preference.

Thanks Steve,

I was just thinking that shop cabinets would be a good way to get in some practice on various finishes so I would have some experience when I get around to something worthwhile.

Maybe like you said, I'll just stain and shellac or stick with the poly.

I always shyed away from finishing certain items in the shop as well. I always feared that the boards I was working with might come into contact with the finished surface....either tranfer pigment or something(a bit anal I know...). So, if I did finish a unit I would pain it(sin) and top coat that with lacquer.