Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actual Size of 4X8 plywood

Actual Size of 4X8 plywood

I see that on one of the big box stores they say their ply is 48 1/2 x 96 1/2. The reason this is important to me is I will be starting a project soon and I need to cut three equal size pieces from a sheet. I know I will loose from saw kerfs so I am trying to wrap my head around how big to lay the pieces while allowing for the saw kerf so all three pieces will end up the exact same width.

What is your experience with the width of plywood sheets? Are they 48x96 or are they 48 1/2 x 96 1/2 or does it depend on the manufacturer?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Only sheet goods I have seen in those dimensions is MDF. All the ply I have used has been true 48x96.
    Come to think of it, there may have been some sheathing grade stuff that was a little undersized to allow for expansion spacing. But all other was full 4'x8'.

It will usually say right on the sheet if it's sized for spacing. I've seen it with sheathing and subfloor materials.

I'm getting ready to head over to the house right now and work on the cabinets. I have three sheets of Cherry ply left so I'll stick a tape on them and let you know.
    I'm 99% sure they are 48" wide. I cut four pieces 11 11/4" wide from a section yesterday and had a sliver about 1/4" wide left over.
    That was using the Festool blade on the TS55EQ, not the Oshlun blade - but - I think the kerf is the same.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

The hardwood-veneer plywood I buy from one dealer really is 48.5x95.5. But most 4x8 plywood really is 48x96, and some construction plywood is a tad smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I cut four pieces 11 11/4" wide from a section yesterday and had a sliver about 1/4" wide left over.
    That was using the Festool blade on the TS55EQ, not the Oshlun blade - but - I think the kerf is the same.
    You lost almost 3" to saw kerfs, seems like a lot to me. How wide is your saw kerf? I would guess the kerf is 1/8 so 4 x 1/8 is 1/2 inch.

Thanks for your help Rich.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-02-2015 at 2:38 PM.
    George

Blog Entries
    I buy hardwood ply from a cabinet shop supplier and it is often, but not always one inch over in both directions. So I would say it depends on the supplier. As for typical softwood ply, not t&g sheeting, it is normally spot on at 48" x 96". I presume they are sometimes oversize to allow a damaged edge to be trued up and still end up with a full 48" x 96" sheet. Or allow even board widths after taking out a few kerf widths. Which for BORG material should be a requirement given the lack of skills of the material handlers especially the hi-lo operators.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-02-2015 at 2:03 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

MDF and melamine particle board is also 1 inch over in both directions at the big box stores - or at least it was last time I bought some. I haven't seen oversized plywood, however.

My father needed a sheet of MDF that was an actual 4' x 8'. We put it on top a sheet of plywood, lined up 2 sides then trimmed the other 2 sides with a flush trim bit in a router. Worded perfectly and we could not tell the cut edges from the factory edges.

Ply often isn't square ( rectangular ) anyway so you will lose some truing it up. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Ply often isn't square ( rectangular ) anyway so you will lose some truing it up. Dave
    I am aware the ends are not always square to the sides and always square them to the sides. I do not need the full 96" length (only need 90") but I would like three 16" wide pieces which you cannot get allowing for the saw kerfs if the sheet is 48" wide. My project calls for 16" wide pieces and cutting two and having the remainder as waste is too costly.
    George

plywoods I get are typically 0.5" larger each direction. MDF/Melamine are 1" larger

Typically it will be 48x96, but as mentioned, it can be different. If I order matched veneer hardwood plywood from my lumber yard it will be 49 x 97.

Over here there's times it feels like it's as small and thin and has a few plies of the worst quality material as the supplier thinks they can get away with...

ou lost almost 3" to saw kerfs, seems like a lot to me. How wide is your saw kerf?
    Oops! LOL! Yeah, my mistake!
    I've been cutting way too many pieces the last week!

Anywho - I snapped a tape on the plywood and it's dead on 48" wide and 96" long.

HTH.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...