Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Gloat! - bittersweet

Cool Tool Gloat! - bittersweet

Well guys,
    I was going to wait on this post until I got my first project finished with it, but I keep thinking now would be an appropriate time (considering this type of post may go the way of the dodo soon) to put it out there.

Preface: been lurking awhile - then after awhile decided to actually create an account on the site, lurked more, don't really have time (or the experience) to post much.

The story starts here: I needed a Jointer and planer. I have a small garage shop, so naturally I thought a J/P combo would be the way to go. I researched a bunch, read a bunch, and it came down to a choice between the Big White Grizzly, or the FS30 classic.
    I made my decision....then I looked at my Dewalt contractor saw on (an admittedly kick-butt) Rousseau stand. I thought - wow I'd really like a safer saw....
    So I thought..hmm..maybe a SS. Then, I did the research..and discovered that those people over in Europe really have a better answer. So.. I did the research on sliders.
    Very quickly, I came to the (obvious) realization that the only way I could fit a slider and a J/p in my 1 car garage shop (other side is occupied) was to crush them together.
    I then did more research! Then I cried. Combo machines aren't cheap.

However, Sam Blasco had an answer for my dilemma. He had a machine tucked way in the back of a warehouse somewhere that the company needed to get rid of. I had been talking to him about the FS30 and my "space" problem.

Turns out I got a really good deal on a Minimax CU300 that was brand new, but had been rejected at delivery due to the pallet being bumped a bit. 8 ft. slider, new design (no gap between J/p tables and main shaper table).
    I was offered the machine at around half retail value (less actually), with the only warranty being on the electrical components for 30 days. Everything else was on me.
    The pics of the pallet looked good, I got them to check to make sure the slider 'actually slid', but had no idea if the motors would even turn on (machine wasn't wired).
    The machine came with both fences, Mortiser, rip boot, and a couple other odds n ends.
    I dealt with Sam, he was awesome - Love the company, love the way they produce things - heavy, precise, and simple. Nothing extraneous that doesn't need to be there, minimal focus on aesthetics(even though it is a good looking machine), maximum focus on engineering intent.
    After getting the machine off the pallet, I discovered that there was some minor dings, a broken switch and a smeared decal. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with the machine. I did have quite a bit of adjusting to do - the slider was .01 above the main work table, and toed IN by quite a bit so I completely recalibrated that - also had to put in a little work to get the j/p tables coplanar... but I actually enjoyed all of it. I learned QUITE a lot about the machine - it was great!

Anyway, long story short , THIS new Minimax CU300 Classic is now in my garage shop - total price from Minimax (including shipping) - $6600
    And I am 'ABSURDLY' happy with the choice I made.

minimax1.jpg
    minimax2.jpg
    This is actually my friend helping me get the machine off the pallet - Fun Times.

Now, normally I would be fully expecting A LOT of 'New Ducks' and I am actually really disappointed that none will be forthcoming. I think it is absurd, totally disconnected with reality, and really shows the ridiculous pervasiveness of the 'PC' mentality in this country. Kent's post about the 'least common denominator' is spot on.
    Hope it changes, hope adults start realizing that your job as a parent is to teach your child how to be a functioning adult. Key word there is 'your'.

Now *I'M* going to have to deal with NOT having about a THOUSAND 'new ducks' because some people want everyone else to filter the world for them. (rant off)

However, having said that, thanks for all the learning you people have given me, and I hope to give back when possible!

Scott

You should be "absurdly happy".

I, on the other hand, am absurdly jealous.

Which means, YOU **you know**!

Seriously...I look forward to seeing what you do with the new machine.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Well done. There are great deals to be had on machines with no real warranty but that should be a non issue. Most everything on a machine can be dealt fairly easily with so save your $$ and keep looking for higher end stuff with few miles. Dave

(admin edit)

..please apply self-context.

Golly gee, you rock

Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    Golly gee, you rock
    OK...that almost made me shoot coffee out of my nose!
    I am never wrong.

Let me be first to say...

Congratulations.

New Ducks! Electolux! Dang it I know I'm missing something. Shoot, am I allowed to say dang? Golly, am I allowed to say shoot? Oh my, am I allowed to say golly?

I give up. Congratulations.

Sorry...but I couldn't help myself...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am never wrong.

Nice machine and a very large looking area to put it in!
    download.jpg
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 09-02-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Wow.

You are such a terrible person, why couldn't it have been me to find that deal?

Shazam!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allen27 View Post
    Now, normally I would be fully expecting A LOT of 'New Ducks' and I am actually really disappointed that none will be forthcoming. I think it is absurd, totally disconnected with reality, and really shows the ridiculous pervasiveness of the 'PC' mentality in this country. Kent's post about the 'least common denominator' is spot on.
    Fear not, Grasshopper. The Provo wing [provisional subversives] of the SSSC sent you a legit New Duck via PM, skirting the LCD-PCP [least common denominator-political correctness police].

By definition, you are not in the hotdog saw owner's guild, and therefore are automatically enrolled in the SSSC.

If you pay a lousy 6 bucks to be a Contributor, you can gain access to the Comintern's discussion in the Lumber Yard. Usually, I encourage it. With Hurricane Insanity currently hovering over the SMC server, though, I cannot in all good conscience recommend it. But I won't advise against it , either.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Congratulation Scott,

Funny that you went through the same thought process as mine, eventually discovering the European sliders. Mine was Hammer, though. Oh, and although I also got a nice deal, it was nowhere close to yours!!!

Nice score! Right now all I'm doing is dreaming of the day when I buy a sliding TS....
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last