Thread: Installing Wood Countertops

Installing Wood Countertops

I will be installing a John Boos cherry butcher block next week in my kitchen. They provide a pretty good installation guide to installing the counters. I am wondering if anyone here has additional advice or suggestions for installing it. There is a seldom used dishwasher under the counter. Is there anything I should do to protect it? The only thing the instructions suggest is to make sure there is plenty of insulation between the appliance and the counter. There is a fiber blanket on the dishwasher. Is that enough, or should I slip a 1/2" piece of foam board in there as well?

Thanks!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Not knowing the installation instructions, I couldn't really say if the insulation is enough, but is it going to hurt anything to put in foam board as well? I wouldn't think so, better to be safe than sorry.

I built butcher-block b.walnut island top (6' x 7' x 1.75") and it has a dishwasher under it. The differing humidity level between top and bottom caused it to bow - - direction depending on where the high %RH was. (This apparently just from the steam on drying cycle or from a stretch of low humidity days; there was no leak.)

I finally removed the top, laid down and inset a 1/8" Masonite barrier wrapped in 6 mil plastic, then put the top back. This seems to have balanced the moisture flow in and out of top.

I don't know of a way to shop finish a top that is 100% moisture proof, so just advise you anticipate this in some way.

Even considered a small computer fan to get air changes under the top, but that just seems so .........not good!

Ah, yes! This would be helpful information http://www.johnboos.com/uploads/file...TALL-GUIDE.pdf

I am thinking about drilling vent holes that will be concealed by the drawer box and by the microwave. Anything will help, right?

Dan

The counter is here and ready to be trimmed and installed. I think the best saw to cut the counter is my circular saw. What crosscut blade does the peanut gallery recommend for fine work?

I used router with straight bit to get good edge after cut with skill saw but some use track saw to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    The counter is here and ready to be trimmed and installed. I think the best saw to cut the counter is my circular saw. What crosscut blade does the peanut gallery recommend for fine work?
    John Boos, really?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    There is a seldom used dishwasher under the counter. Is there anything I should do to protect it?
    I think I would put 3-4 coats of a high quality polyurethane on the underside of the counter top above the dishwasher. Hot moisture from the dishwasher won't do your counter top any favors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    John Boos, really?
    Please explain your comment. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    John Boos, really?
    John Boos. Really! The quality is amazing and looks great. I got it with the logo front and center to help entice a future owner. It is better than the dreck sold at Lumber Liquidators. Almost every butt seam was filled with wood putty and the strips were less than 1" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think I would put 3-4 coats of a high quality polyurethane on the underside of the counter top above the dishwasher. Hot moisture from the dishwasher won't do your counter top any favors.
    Got it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I used router with straight bit to get good edge after cut with skill saw but some use track saw to cut.
    I'll keep that in mind, but a smooth finish on the side is not 100% necessary as the counter will be sitting between the outside wall and the oven cabinet. Square, true and no tear out is the name of the game here. I am cutting off roughly 6". I should have enough leftover to make a small cutting board!

Countertop.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 09-21-2015 at 9:31 PM.

I shaved off 1/4" from the end with my 60 tooth circular saw blade. It gave it a pretty smooth cut with no tear out, so I took the plunge and made a final cut. Everything fits well. I need to find a way to cover the 1/8" expansion gaps since it is between a wall and cabinet.

Back to your original question. Most dishwashers have a vent near the top front that vents steam. It is known to discolor wood at the location of the vent.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I put in a Mahogany counter which went over the dishwasher & we have a framers sink with apron mounted under. I coated the back & all unseen edges with west system epoxy. Coated what shows with about 7 coats of urethane & never had a problem....Been in for 10 yrs no warping....