Thread: Trailer Partition

Trailer Partition

I am customizing a trailer and need to install a partition. Since space is almost as important as weight I have a dilemma. Should I build a normal thickness wall using metal studs or should I use wood 2X2 (1-1/2 X 1 1/2) and build a thinner wall? The wall will be finished with 5mm plywood. I also have a door to install and I'm not sure I can get a door for a thin wall aside from some kind of accordion thing (which might be OK). I'm concerned with such thin wood studs twisting over time but I am not aware of metal framing systems that size. I don't think using tubular metal will save enough weight for the space saved and anchoring them becomes a problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I converted a coach bus into a motorhome. I used 2-1/2" and 1-5/8" metal studs for walls with 3/8" or 5/8" plywood depending on if the wall was supporting bunk beds or not. I used the 2-1/2" studs for the bathroom due to pipes in the walls and the 1-5/8" elsewhere to save space and weight.

The plywood will add more strength than the studs for the most part.

What you are wanting to do is standard practice in the travel trailer industry. I'm quite certain you can find multiple suppliers who will sell you a door unit that will drop right in. I would, however, buy the door before you build the wall just so you can be sure it fits. You can drastically improve the stiffness and stability of the wall if you build it so you can apply expanding foam insulation between the studs. If that isn't possible, then fabricate the walls like a sandwich with bare foam insulation sheets glued to both sheets of plywood. In other words, construct the wall as a sort of torsion box. They build aircraft wings that way.

You can get metal studs in any size that wood studs come in I would think 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 studs would be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    You can get metal studs in any size that wood studs come in I would think 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 studs would be fine
    That would be great if I knew where to find them. The big box stores don't carry them.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

try a drywall supplier or a company that sells ceiling tile

Menards carries 1-5/8" metal studs. That is where I bought mine. No idea if Home Depot or Lowes carry that size.

Unfortunately the nearest Manards is 450 miles from me. I will try some of my local building suppliers.

Just this weekend, I caught part of an episode of How It's Made featuring mobile home/trailer construction. I forget the name of the featured company, but the walls were built out of what looked like simple 2x2 framing with pink fiberglass insulation. I didn't see what the frames were covered with on the interior side, but you could probably use Formica, Wilsonart, or a similar laminate material.

Here's that segment on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptMwvpY-ki4
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-09-2015 at 2:56 PM.