Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new plane arrived yesterday from an undisclosed source.

For me a plane is just a plane all the same cutting wood, but that piece of wood looks like a fine chocolate.Make my mouth water.Its gotta be some killer Mahogany.
    Nice tool would love to have one.

Brian,

Beautiful plane. I only have one guess who made it, but it is only a guess, and not a knowledgable guess at that, so I'm going to let it go at that rather than share my ignorance.

The plane reminds me of the old saying, which definitely is fitting here, "a thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Congrats on the beautiful plane, and my congrats on the maker on having the skill to build such a plane.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    George or Brian,
    again revealing my vast ignorance, I must ask : what type of wood is it?
    The wood is beech
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas for letting me have my fun I appreciate the kind words as well.

Nice eyes! Very impressive! The plane is from David Weaver. He and I talk about planes on the regular and so he graciously offered to make one for me. It's made from beech, entirely by hand, and is working fabulously. Nice thing is that he does all of the diagnostics before sending, so basically I set the iron in place and started working.

The issue I was having in my workshop was that it was difficult for me to work large panels with my metal jointer plane. The extremely flat surface of the jointer plane was adding a ton of friction to the cut when the panel started to get very flat and even waxing the sole was not solving it for me long term. This certainly cures the ailment and offered much in the way of enlightenment for me, having not previously used wooden planes outside of joinery planes.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I was going to say it was Mr. D too, nice bounce of of Kieth post! lol

it looks fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. I personally don't go fo rmetal plans larger than a 5, too heavy and clumsy..
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-04-2015 at 11:34 AM.

I exaggerated about the cost of the beech,of course. But,the price of beech,a very common wood(which was why tools were mostly made of it),seems to have gotten completely out of hand,being rarely cut these days. No one uses it much any more. They used it a lot in England for many things. I used to have an antique set of English Queen Anne dining chairs made of beech,and stained to look like mahogany. Chair bodgers used to set up a crude lathe in the woods in the spring,and cut beech,and turn it into chair legs and stretchers all Summer in England. They stacked the turnings up to dry as they were made. Their lathe was one of those made between 2 trees sometimes,powered by a rope wrapped around the wood and connected to a foot treadle.

I stay in touch with David,and was aware of this plane. He does very,very nice work on them!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-04-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Very, very nice plane! I wish David would pop in here again, place is not the same without him.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Me too. ++++1

Very nice plane Brian. Good builder, good mentor = excellence. Enjoy.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I stay in touch with David,and was aware of this plane. He does very,very nice work on them!!
    I stay in touch with David too, George. He is a GREAT guy. And...I thought you should know...he thinks the world of you. You often come up in our conversations (because I am a closet George Wilson Fan myself).

Believe you me, you...saying what you just said...about him and his work, will mean more to him than all the time and effort that he put into building it.

Seriously.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Cheers, Thanks gents!

Beautiful plane. Your first post was certainly a bit of deja vu. Using a wood bodied try plane is much nicer imo than a metal bodied one. You get a lot more feedback from the tool. enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Hehe, I was wondering if you would stumble upon this thread. Agreed, I really enjoy the feedback from the plane, it's been eye opening to use.

Thank you! Do the same!

The wedge does not look like an Old Street Tool wedge. Also it appears to be a double iron, and they use a nail in the tote to attach it. The champers on the side don't look like the ones on my C&W Trying plane. That being said more photos would help.