Thread: Tool Chest From Scrap

Tool Chest From Scrap

It started when I wanted to get the audio receiver off the countertop in the workshop. I rested it on top of an extra plastic storage bin for a while, but that wouldn't do in the long run. Sooner or later I'd want that storage bin for something else.

This looked like a great way to use up some scrap. I found some leftover pieces of oak veneer plywood that were nearly the right size already for supporting the receiver and getting it up off the countertop and tucked underneath one of the wall cabinets. I trimmed them down to the right dimensions, then cut down some solid oak material to use as corner pieces to join the plywood in an upside-down U-shaped stand. I put that together with glue and biscuits.

That's where requirements creep set in. An open stand like that would be a missed opportunity for some organized storage, and of course you can't have too much of that in the workshop. So I routed rabbets in what I'd already made and added a bottom and a back, trim for the front, and drawers for organization.

I used some leftover solid oak flooring for the drawer fronts. For the sides and backs of the drawers, I didn't have enough scrap to work with, so I had to get some new material from the lumber stack.

The oak pieces got Minwhacked with red mahogany stain. Waterlox readily lifts this stain, so in between went a coat of shellac, followed by just enough wiped-on coats of Waterlox to make it look purty. The maple drawer sides just got Waterlox. Drawer pulls from Lee Valley.

IMG_1415, 800.jpg IMG_1416, 800.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    You can make me one out of scrap anytime. Nice work. Will mine come with the large amp on top?????
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice job. These little shop improvement projects are fun. I'd like mine with a cleat on the back so I can hang it on my French cleat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can make me one out of scrap anytime. Nice work. Will mine come with the large amp on top?????

Accessories sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Nice job. These little shop improvement projects are fun. I'd like mine with a cleat on the back so I can hang it on my French cleat system.
    Thanks. They are fun. I see some more in my future when the scrap pile gets big enough again.
    Chuck Taylor

Nice work Charles.
    So, you routed grooves in the sides and then put in a piece to act as a the slider for the drawers?

Quote Originally Posted by Russel De Arman View Post
    Nice work Charles.
    So, you routed grooves in the sides and then put in a piece to act as a the slider for the drawers?
    Thanks. Yes, you've got it. The slides are strips of maple glued and pinned to the cabinet sides.
    Chuck Taylor

Looks great!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra