Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Real cost of hand tool woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I stand corrected.

I do believe in this day and age, though, it's too tempting to keep buying just one more saw or plane in hopes that it makes us better with less effort. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's my temptation, and I'm projecting that urge onto others.

For those traditionally trained, or with the appropriate discipline, I'm sure it's entirely possible to do much more with less. But for the person just starting out, the access to information (misinformation? too much information?) gives me the impression that I can always improve my skill with more 'stuff'.

It was presumptuous of to say 'never heard...'
    Sorry Prashun, my comment isn't aimed at you. I over bought as well, and have been weeding down my extras. I now own a pared down set: a bevel up jointer, bu jack, a no. 4, a no. 51/2 (a gift!) a plow, a Skew rabbet, a large router plane and LVs medium router plane, and a large and medium shoulder. I could easily get by without the medium shoulder and perhaps without the medium router.

Even new, from LV, you could get off the ground with a very serviceable set of planes and saws for less than $1500. Marking tools and the like are not included in my list; you need them for any kind of woodworking.

of course i have some other planes people gave me, a coach-makers plane, a Millers falls 14 (gorgeous hunk of metal!) and a couple others. But you could easily make nice furniture without the jointer, the bu jack, the no.4 and the medium router.

as for saws, i mainly use my hybrid sash saw from bad axe, my 2 carcass saws from Lv and my LV dovetail saw. I also use my strange 4 1/2 point rip, my 8 point rip, 8 point crosscut, and 12 point crosscut. I wouldn't mind a 12point rip, and strangely don't have one amongst my huge collection of gifted saws.

So you don't need much. Even if you find the Schwarz insufferable, his "Anarchists Toolchest" is an excellent read; especially for his tool list, and the philosophy behind the choices.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 09-15-2015 at 3:48 PM.
    Paul