Thread: Neander shaping kit?

Neander shaping kit?

Dear Neanderbuddies,

I was at the DMV today, and chatted with a cute Architecture student in line.
    When I mentioned that I wanted to prototype some surgical tools, she mentioned 3-d printers, CNC, CAD, and photoshop.
    I thought that it was sort of overkill to make a better handle. Personally, I was going to make prototypes of plastic and mahogany.

While I thought that I knew what would work (files, rasps, chisels, gouges, knives), am I missing something?

What would you guys recommend for a comprehensive shaping tool kit?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    ... While I thought that I knew what would work (files, rasps, chisels, gouges, knives), am I missing something?

What would you guys recommend for a comprehensive shaping tool kit?
    You left out planes and especially molding planes.

Though the modern 3-D printer is the "power tool."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Matt

She just talks the language she has learned. My father and sister were/are architects and trained before computers came along. CAD was unheard of, just science fiction. I, too, learned to draft using pen and paper. Transferring a design from paper to reality requires real tools, not a cable link to 3D printer. I meet architects and draftsmen who have no knowledge of anything but a CAD program.

Draw your design full size on 3mm (1/8") MDF (it does have a use! ) so that it is easier to handle and modify. Cut it out carefully. Transfer it to a solid wood blank. Use saws, rasps, spokeshaves, scrapers, planes .. whatever .. and test this ... modify until you like the looks and handling.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As Derek has said, she is speaking the language she has learned and is familiar with.

My oldest daughter is also an architect (the real "artsy-craftsy" kind, having partially studied in Rome), and everything is technology.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The great thing about 3D modeling and 3D printing is that you can hold a new "thing" in your hands in a matter of minutes. Then make small modifications to the design and again hold the new "thing" in your hand. Most likely long before the first design is shaped and finished by hand.

They are powerful tool, that are being taught in the best elementary schools and secondary schools in my area.

Hi Matt.
    My list for SHAPING looks alot like yours, but I'd include:
    * flat spokeshave
    * small bandsaw

Fred

Then there are a handful of hollows/rounds but I dont know if you want to count those.

The power of a CAD system and 3D printer are exploited for fast prototyping everywhere. No doubt you can sometimes even create something with hand tools that emulates the capability of the 3D printer but you can't match the speed or flexibility of a CAD system to make a derivative of your model. You are from a different time and background. Woodworking and modern technology really don't work together nicely. With regard to surgical tools - your prototypes really need to fit expectations and wood and surgery don't go together at all.

Spokeshave(s) and even drawknives to your original question

Blog Entries
    The power of a CAD system and 3D printer are exploited for fast prototyping everywhere.
    Yes, this is true. However a person without the system can likely make a prototype by hand quicker than they can save the money to buy the CAD system and 3D printer, especially if they have to convince their spouse it is something they need.

Some think me crazy for making my own dowels on a lathe or splitting them out of a piece of "fire wood." They can be bought for almost nothing in town or they are costing you more than your worth even at minimum wage.

What they neglect in my case is the 15 mile drive into town to the closest store that sells dowels. Then the drive back, both a bigger waste of time than making a few dowels that are better than what can be bought. Besides there isn't anyone paying me any wages, let alone minimum wage at the moment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)