Thread: Alternative finish for old tools?

Alternative finish for old tools?

Howdy all,

I just got an old Millers falls fret saw. It is in fair shape with normal patina for something probably close to 100 years old. I knew it was old by the holes in the thumb screws and with a little cleaning I found a patent date of 1874 on it. I have to clean it up and put it back into service.

I'm not sure if chrome finishes in the early 20th century. If they were its most likely this saw won't have any left. When you all restore a tool like this do you use just a BLO finish, paint or what? I'm not looking for museum quality. Just a decent looking user.

thanks, mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take off the rust with a non-woven pad, put a bit of wax on the frame and handle (tote), new blade, and put it to work.
    Looks like a good buy.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks Bill, but here in humid (exceptionally today considering I haven't gotten a drop of rain since June 27) se texas wax just doesn't work unless I do it every 3 days. BLO works but is more suited to garden tools.

Hi Mark, I use "Fluid Film" a lot, it's lanolin based, no solvents, non-toxic and long lasting, comes in a spray can. I understand it was developed by John Deer for their tractors. Most tractor supply stores carry it and I also understand Napa has it but they may have to order it for you. I'm not affiliated in any way with Fluid Film. I highly recommend it.
    Chet

I recently started to use fluid film for tool wiping, bought the gallon can. I like it, but it has a mildly off putting scent, after a little while one does get used to it.
    I used crc 3-36 and it was excellent to keep rust off the tools on unheated porch, but decided to use something else because I suspect it was drying out my hands.

Ive used fluid film for a while. I use it a lot. I've also started using truoil. I believe truoil is some sort of oil poly mix, so it gives a little glow along with protection even on the metal. The two can be mixed, although I'd do the truoil first or it may not stick.

I would mix a little poly into your blo