Thread: Saws worth salvaging?

Question Saws worth salvaging?

I think I know the answer but thought I'd put it out here for the experts to decide.

The blades on the two larger saws are pretty straight, the bottom one being nearly perfect which is a bit better than the other.

IMG_20150904_182755844.jpg

The saw on the bottom is the one I'm most curious about. It has pretty significant water damage and I can't find any etching on the blade. Here a closeup of the handle and nut after a light brushing with a brass brush.
    IMG_20150904_183602413.jpg IMG_20150904_190107.jpg

Below is the middle saw and I'm guessing it's just a modern version of an old saw (the handle is laminated).
    IMG_20150904_183114077.jpg

There's not much on the small saw I can see except some circular text that looks like it would have read 'Crosscut Saw' and the fact that all of the nuts have been replaced. Probably a generic brand but I know nothing about saws sooooo.

Thanks in advance guys.

The one on the bottom is probably a decent saw. Nothing spectacular, but decent. With the damage to the handle though, I personally would not put the effort into restoring it.

Blog Entries
    non of them are anything special, but they could make good users if you have the time\energy and want to restore them. up to you.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-05-2015 at 3:06 PM.

Look at this website, http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/index.html look for warranted superior medallions section, and the FAQ's sections. (The question with the picture of a blue car!)

Mark

The screw pattern on the tote says something to the D-23 or maybe even a D-115, on the bottom one.
    I do have a Keystone with the same pattern.
    I would give them a working over they might be users.
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 09-05-2015 at 7:01 PM. Reason: left part of answer
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info.

They are all pretty modern as far as handsaws go. The middle one is a late Disston D-7 and certainly worth cleaning up and sharpening. It will be as good a user as there is. The earlier Disstons were a little harder and kept an edge longer, but that saw can do a good job.

The top back saw is a cheapy as is the bottom handsaw. The bottom saw is a late product and 2nd-rate compared to the other products of the company that made it (and denied its parentage be using the "Warranted Superior" medallion).

I have lots of older Disstons, but I recently cleaned up and sharpened one of their late, lower quality saws and it cuts very nicely. When I can buy one of these low-grade saws for a dollar, I don't pass them up.

Your saws are not collector's pieces, but if nothing else, they are a great opportunity to practice setting and filing, even handle reshaping, without worrying that you might wreck a valuable saw. I pick up my little Disston R-1 Rancher 10 point and use it now and then because I get a kick out of making a nice cut with a $1 saw!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Davis; 09-07-2015 at 2:21 PM.